Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I got my first centrefire rifle; a model 1600 Husqvarna chambered in .30-06. The serial number is 169xxx so I believe it was manufactured in 1955. It has the older style steel floorplate and bolt etc so it seems to be all in order. The metalwork is all excellent but the wood stock is a bit cracked near the front swivel.

It shoots like a dream and is the smoothest rifle I have tried. Going to mount a new scope and change out the slim swivels to accommodate my turner sling; any idea on how to do this? Attached some photos the guy I bought it off took (I don't have a very good camera).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Baribal I will!

Just rechecked serial number dates (read it wrong) and measured the barrel length. Thanks for the correction.

Its three times my age and shoots 1MOA with factory loads; hard not to love that!

·
Registered
268 Posts
A few days ago, I got the 20.5" barrel version of yours, a 1600 in .30'06 made in 1958. To say I'm happy with it would be the understatement of the century! It has become my favorite rifle in these few days and is perfect for my use. I hope you're as satisfied with yours.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I definitely am JDL! The swedes make a fine rifle. I definitely prefer them to all the modern centrefires I have tried.

Does anyone know how to adapt the narrow swivels for wider, 1 1/4" ones? I've been trying to for a while but can't remove the swivel part with a screwdriver, leading me to believe that they may be fixed or am not using enough force. Should I just remove the entire stud instead and install new studs?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
As you wish, friend. The small screw is solidly held in place because it was punches to avoid unscrewing. You need the correct size screwdriver with a good handle to apply enought torque to remove it.
Once removed, the hole can be re-drilled to fit say, Uncle Mike's QD swivels (9/64" if I remember well) and if carefully done, you will still be able to refit the original one without too much wobbble.

Just be aware that if you install "amrican" pivot srews, the bolt root and thread pitch are different and you won't be able to refit the original ones without fixing the hole and redrill it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts