Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Silver Bullet member
1,456 Posts
For the money, you did quite well. It is an import from Turkey, probably in the 80's or early 90's. If it came with the bayonet, so much the better.
Some say that the 1917-8 production from Oberndorff was mainly sent to Turkey. Don't know, myself.

· Registered
4,787 Posts
It's a "turked" Gew98, sent from Germany to Turkey, probably during WW1 but also possibly later. Like all the turk Mausers, the price has risen steadily in the last 20 years, and you did well, very well if the bayo was included.

8,119 Posts
...........you did well, very well if the bayo was included.
Don't let the talk about this being "Turked" bother you, Turked Gew98 will sell for $200 all day long. And with the bayonet in the deal you paid about $75 for the rifle anyway, good Sg98/05 bayonets with scabbards will sell for $125 to $175 all day long, more if a rare maker. Who made the bayonet and what is the date of manufacture?

The above is, of course, my opinion and some will not agree about the "Turked" rifles but that is okay. :)

· Silver Bullet member
1,456 Posts
Thanks Bandook ......... " It is an import" , It was made in Oberndorff in 1917 and shipped to Turkey? It has all German markings.

JaDub
Note in the picture of your receiver(fourth one down) that it is stamped "CAL 8mm" then you can see the "URKEY" part of Turkey. This was added by the importer. The number stamped on the receiver bridge is also a feature of Turked rifles. Again, you did very well, as others have said.

· Gold Bullet member
11,812 Posts
Yes, you did fine. Turk'd Gew98's are still Gew98's, though they sometimes show up in unusual condition. Often they are quite decent, sometimes they have some exterior pitting, but rarely enough to make it unserviceable (or so I've observed).

Much of WMO production in 1917 and 1918 ended up in Turkey.

I think a Turk'd Gew98 is a viable element of any Gew98 collection.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the info and opinions. Very interesting to hear your comments etc. . The `Turks` I have are all in remarkably good condition so I`m glad to hear they are still a viable find. As to the 98 bayonet.......... it is truly a `butcher` model in reasonably good condition.

The marks are as follows:
top of bayo just ahead of the hilt
W
18 with small crown type mark above and below ??????

on side , just ahead of the hilt ALEX COPPEL in arch above SOLINGEN ?????

I can photograph these if you`d like...... thanks guys!

This gun does not appear to have been `modified or monkied with` like my 88s which were , I think, rebarreled and recievers marked ANKARA etc.

JaDub

· Registered
680 Posts
Bayonet: The W is for Kaiser Wilhelm II, 18 is for the year. Alex Coppel in the town of Solingen was a large producer of bayonets, and continued into WWII. Looks like a nice bayonet, and 1918 dated items are interesting.

Gewehr: That stock is interesting. The lone B tells that it is beech and likely German. However the lack of a cypher or acceptance is unusual. Are there any serial numbers on it or the buttplate? have you taken it apart, are there serials on the inside? It could be an armorers stock, which would be a nice score.

· Registered
680 Posts
Good pictures. So no external serial number and no sanding? if you feel like taking a gun apart, look for a number in the barrel channel and on the handguard. If there is no number it probably is an armorers stock, which is interesting.

Here is where stock serial numbers usually are. Could you image the same locations on your stock?

Attachments

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the direction on where to look. I think I can detect a tiny STAR and possibly the letter K or l just behind the sling bracket. The star is almost invisible but does seem to appear if you shine the light and view from different angles. It`s probably not more than a couple mm or so in size. It IS tiny. OR maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. :cool: As to disassembling to find a number inside......... not really sure how to get into it without damaging something.

JaDub

P.S. No evidence of sanding........all looks original as far as the finish goes. ?????

· Registered
680 Posts
The edges do look soft, but the B is too strong and not blurred to have been heavily sanded at least. And no sign of cypher and acceptance marks, even under the racking numbers. I'm never very good with beech though, it usually looks sanded to me. Only way for me to tell for certain is to hold it.

The stock has been sanded...looks like most if not all the proofs are gone.

· Gold Bullet member
2,629 Posts
The B's have aways seemed to be struck deeper than ser.# and proofs. Probably has to do with the B being struck in the mill and the rest during assembly.

The buttplate on this is really proud and it is dark in the usual spots for a sanded/cleaned stock....still for $200 a good buy.

· Registered
680 Posts
If you can get an image of this area that might be very helpful. fireman might be right about it being sanded, most Turkish Gewehrs did get sanded to one degree or another, but any acceptance stamps below the sling bracket could answer the question.

Thanks for the direction on where to look. I think I can detect a tiny STAR and possibly the letter K or l just behind the sling bracket. The star is almost invisible but does seem to appear if you shine the light and view from different angles. It`s probably not more than a couple mm or so in size. It IS tiny. OR maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. :cool: As to disassembling to find a number inside......... not really sure how to get into it without damaging something.

JaDub

P.S. No evidence of sanding........all looks original as far as the finish goes. ?????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.