Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Traded for a Mk4 No 1 recently. While I hate the concept, this one has been sporterized. Looks more professional than some I have seen, w/bright shiney bore too!!! Owner wanted to trade for a Mossberg410 that I had w/no firing pin.......figgered I'd help him in his quest for a broken gun!!!!

Then I advertised .303 ammo for sale......question came up about hangfires. click............bangs. I have used this ammo only in a Bren, Vickers & Lewis, never a stumble, nice even pace. Just cant remember having a dud either....... I have a newish Long Branch but didnt want to shoot it.....so....I took the sporter Enfield out in the snow & rain w/18 test rounds.....thought I had 20, but...found 14 empties in the tallish grass.

I noiticed right away that I heard a distinct click just as the rifle fired. After examining the bolt/firing pin assembly, and a couple more of the same click-sound/bang combos, & a few dry fires, I came to the conclusion that this may be normal because the massive end of the firing pin is right under a shooters nose, couldnt help hearing it!!!! When I did have a hangfire, it was only a split second later & I realized the difference. Does this kinda big firing pin assembly cause a bit of slower than normal lock time??? I had one dud also. It showed what I thought a somewhat weak FP strike. The Brens screwdriver like firing pin print is the way all guns ought to be.

And........the bolt handle struck me on my thumb joint.....first several shots anyway.........anyone else have that problem?? Seems the stock is where it should be other than added recoil pad........

PJH

·
Registered
986 Posts
That firing pin mark looks very odd, it should be a crisp pin mark but the cap looks deformed and shallow. I would check your pin protrusion and maybe strip the bolt clean the gunk out of the inside and re-assemble with clean oil. Perhaps the spring is weak or clogged with grease and is traveling to slow and leaving a shallow mark. It should be a strong crisp crack.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Before doing anything to the gun. It is highly recomended to shoot several different brands of ammo.

Try some commercial ammo.

Then compare the firing pin indentations.

I have seen surplus ammo with similar primer issues from a perfectly OK gun.

Click bang is common in surplus ammo. Specially POF.
Some of the Brit. surplus also did the click bang thing. But it was accurate.

We found that laying the rounds out on the table in the sun for a few minutes, reduced the click bang time and sometime illiminated it. Cordite.

The bolt hitting your thumb.

I have had that happened, usually when getting off a quick shot hunting.

I don't know the answer how to stop it, other than seeing how you shoulder and hold the gun.

Butt pads are recomended for some shooters, specially older ones.

For target shooting I always used a velcro quick attach butt pad and a towel over the shoulder to dampen recoil.

Forget the macho stuff. If you abuse your shoulder when young, in most of us it will show up later when you get old.
You will be needing Obama care big time when the pain starts.
Also some of us have to be careful with recoil and retinal detachment.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
My initial impression mirrors that of Brit Plummers. A slowed FP. Grease inside the bolt coupled with cold temperatures is a recipe for failure.

Just as a "FYI", the cocking piece should not be stopping the FP from forward travel. What the primer doesn't stop the internal collar should. The LE is no different than any Mauser type action in regard to hearing the FP stop "right below one's nose". Of course if it were truly below one's nose, then there is a problem in the mounting of the rifle as far as cheek weld goes! ;)

·
Registered
986 Posts
It's worth a strip down and clean anyway if it's a new to you rifle. I'm pretty sure that type of depression on the cap is purely due to the firing pin and you'll get similar results on any other ammo unless it has a very thin cap.

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
That looks like a "normal" click no bang primer to me.:cry:

The primer undergoes quite a transition during the firing process, but we usually only get to see the end result, the "normal" flat primer with the well-defined firing pin mark. The actual process is more like the cap gets struck & the cap looks like your image. Then the compound explodes pushing it back out somewhat. Once the main charge ignites & pressure climbs the cap is pressed into the bolt face & achieves the "finished" look we know so well.

If you had a dead primer then this is "stuck" at stage one of the process. I'd try some modern ammo & see what happens before panicking as long as the striker snaps forward immediately on an empty chamber.

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Odd thought.
Are you using sound deadening electronic muffs such as the Peltors?

I ask because whenever I use my electronic muffs I hear the *click* right before they shut down in response to the firing sound, with conventional ones this doesn't happen, even with the same ammo.

·
Registered
986 Posts
That looks like a "normal" click no bang primer to me.:cry:

The primer undergoes quite a transition during the firing process, but we usually only get to see the end result, the "normal" flat primer with the well-defined firing pin mark. The actual process is more like the cap gets struck & the cap looks like your image. Then the compound explodes pushing it back out somewhat. Once the main charge ignites & pressure climbs the cap is pressed into the bolt face & achieves the "finished" look we know so well.

If you had a dead primer then this is "stuck" at stage one of the process. I'd try some modern ammo & see what happens before panicking as long as the striker snaps forward immediately on an empty chamber.
Good spot, I didn't see the bullet on the end of the cartridge, I thought this one was a fired case.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Gents........as one can tell from the photo, there is a recoil pad & this 75yr old likes 'em. I even put cellular plastic/rubber pieces of insulation on the buttstocks of my mounted guns.

Bolt/firing pin.....I did examine & clean all the associated parts that would be involved in firing. I needed to know that this gun was safe to fire as far as any obvious shortcoming. Bolt had virtually nothing inside.

I re-held the gun in standing position. Indeed firing pin is not as close to the nose as in sitting position. Bolt clunked me in both positions though......

I needed to get the test fire out of the way asap as I had been holding some checks for 2 days & needed to ship. I found a case of newer .303, didnt have my glasses on so I dont know the yr of mfgr. I did find some 1968 POF in the stock pile, along with considerable 1964-5. And several cases of 1942 Brit in Vickers belts. Last time I remember trying this was nearly all duds. Does it have any collector value???

Gonna post photos of my Long Branch rifle for you guys speculate on what the 'extra' markings mean....

PJH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts