Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my first VZ24. I had been looking for one with the Rampant Lion crest intact. Finally located one that hadn't been altered, and of course it was here on our trader forum. I was really happy with the rifle when it arrived. It seems the more rifles that I collect the more I like stocks and metal with a worn look. Not worn out, it's just that the dings, dents and patina tell the rifles story. This one has a 1938 acceptance date, with an E prefix. Correct me if I'm wrong but does this mean Czech army service? It also has a small Rampant Lion partially obscured on the other side of the receiver. The numbers are a mismatch scramble. No number on the floor plate. The bore is dark but has very good rifling. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow, can't wait to shoot it. The bayonet and scabbard have the E and Rampant Lion and either a 23 or 28 date. Please check out the pics and share any thoughts or insights. I'm sure this will not be my last VZ24. Thanks, Joe
https://www.flickr.com/photos/caballero2/sets/72157645358894371/

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
Looks like a nice one. It was accepted by the Czech Army in 1938, never issued, and most likely sold to Romania. Lucky the crest was not scrubbed. The stock shows an old Romanian contract serial number under the more recently stamped number and is not original to the rifle. The bayonet is a VZ23 Short, correct for the VZ98/22 long rifle, and shorter than the VZ24 bayonet for the VZ24 short rifle.

Regards,
Bill

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,794 Posts
That is a nice one, not a Romanian rebuild either. The rifle and bayonet have Czech army acceptance stamps too. Any import stamp on it? Take care not to put your lips too close to the sling swivel when firing is my advice for the range.

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
The bayonet is a VZ23 Short, correct for the VZ98/22 long rifle, and shorter than the VZ24 bayonet for the VZ24 short rifle.
...Or as Bill told me once. "The easy way to remember it is: The long bayonet goes to the short rifle, and the short bayonet goes to the long rifle".

Take care not to put your lips too close to the sling swivel when firing is my advice for the range.
Don't have this problem. Its one that you "Wrong handed" people are cursed with. Our curse is most of the bolts are installed backwards.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it is import marked. Geladen, what markings or lack of, indicates no issuance? Is that a faint letter R on the stock, before the stamped number? I know that would indicate Romanian stock. Is there a value difference in the VZ23 bayo as compared to the correct VZ24 bayo? In case I wanted to trade? Thanks, Joe

·
15,946 Posts
Yes, it is import marked. Geladen, what markings or lack of, indicates no issuance? Is that a faint letter R on the stock, before the stamped number? I know that would indicate Romanian stock. Is there a value difference in the VZ23 bayo as compared to the correct VZ24 bayo? In case I wanted to trade? Thanks, Joe
When Czechoslovakia was taken over by the Germans, the issued Czech rifles were taken into the Wehrmacht. Unissued rifles (or apparently most of them) were sold to Romania. There was great urgency to rearm Romania with 7.92X57 VZ24 rifles. Germany needed Romanian POL and they wanted to prepare for the (then secret) invasion of Russia in which Romanian troops played a big part.

It is a pretty good bet that any VZ24 marked E(lion)38 went to Romania and the mismatched Romanian stock on this one strongly suggests Romanian use of the rifle.

You have good eyes. That is an R on the stock, the remains of the original Romanian contract serial number.

The VZ23 Short and VZ24 bayonets run about the same price. There are plenty of Romanian used VZ24 bayonets available, especially on Ebay. You now need a VZ24 Bayonet AND a VZ98/22 rifle. ;)

Regards,
Bill

·
15,946 Posts
...Or as Bill told me once. "The easy way to remember it is: The long bayonet goes to the short rifle, and the short bayonet goes to the long rifle".
Yes, but - while true the (short) VZ23 Short bayonet goes with the VZ98/22 long rifle and the (long) VZ24 bayonet goes with the VZ24 short rifle, the (longest) VZ23 Long bayonet goes with the VZ23 short rifle.

Note also that the VZ23 Short bayonet is dated later (1923) than the VZ98/22 (1922) long rifle it goes with. I am guessing that the bayonet for the VZ98/22 rifle originally had no model number and that bayonet was given the model number of VZ23 Short only when the VZ23 Long bayonet was designed for the VZ23 short rifle.

You may have to read that a couple of times. ;)

Regards,
Bill

·
15,946 Posts
I found a photo which includes all three bayonet types: short, long, and longest.

Top bayonet is a VZ98/29, the same length as a VZ23 Long.
Second bayonet is a VZ23 Short.
Other bayonets are VZ24.

The drawings are labeled:
VZ98/22 Long (should be VZ23 Long) - 400mm blade
VZ98/22 Short (should be VZ23 Short) - 250mm blade
VZ24 - 300mm blade

The drawings are not the same scale. The bayonet length is somewhat distorted in the photo. Note how the seven VZ24 bayonets appear to be longer as the eye moves from the top to the bottom of the photo. The bottom seven bayonets are actually the same length.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
You may have to read that a couple of times.
......Or more.
Also GREAT input on the types of VZ bayos. Ive said it a hundred times: "Where can you get so much FREE and concise information", than you receive here on the Gunboards. Thanks Bill.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also just noticed that in the pic of the bottom of the butt stock there is not only a faint R to the left of the serial number, but just to the left of the R is what looks like a faint letter A. Does this mean it was a first production run Romanian stock? Also read that the serial number on the receiver with no prefix letter indicates a C or D series serial number.

·
15,946 Posts
I think I can see an AR prefix on the stock. And, yes, AR is the first block of the Romanian contract. Other VZ24 rifles were sold to Romania with standard Czech serial numbers, probably just before the AR block was made.

Little is known about the 1937 year crested rifles other than the Japanese and Chinese contracts. Most are P series and some Japanese are reported with a C prefix on the stock and no prefix on the metal. I have not heard of a D series. There is also an E series. I have a 1937 crested no prefix VZ24 with matching no prefix stock and no Czech acceptance markings (or Romanian markings) that I think just might have gone to El Salvador (one of 300). Other year crested rifles (1937-38-39-40) were thrown into the Romanian contract with _R prefix serial numbers. The Romanian contract rifles were made in 1940 with a possible slight overlap into 1939 and/or 1941.

Regards,
Bill

·
15,946 Posts
......Or more.
Also GREAT input on the types of VZ bayos. Ive said it a hundred times: "Where can you get so much FREE and concise information", than you receive here on the Gunboards. Thanks Bill.
You are most welcome, Tom. I try to find out as much as possible about the history of every gun in my collection. Once I have it as least partially figured out it is my pleasure to share it.

It was not that many years ago I was still trying to learn the difference between a VZ24 and a VZ23, and between an FN1930 and an FN1924 (and what the h*** was an FN24/30?).

For those still confused, the best I can determine is that FN24/30 was an early and short used term for an FN1930. That would be like a Mosin M91/30 is a modified version of a Mosin M91.

Regards,
Bill

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
Then you have the Kar98, the K98a lengthened carbine. Then the often quoted, but still misunderstood K98az. (Z) as I have been informed denotes Zusammensetzvorrichtung. or Stacking Hook. I know Bill could offer at least 5 paragraphs on this subject alone.

·
15,946 Posts
Then you have the Kar98, the K98a lengthened carbine. Then the often quoted, but still misunderstood K98az. (Z) as I have been informed denotes Zusammensetzvorrichtung. or Stacking Hook. I know Bill could offer at least 5 paragraphs on this subject alone.
Nope, not five paragraphs. Not even one. I just call them Kar 98a and 'the original short Kar 98 carbine'. I ignore Kar 98az. Hopefully if we all ignore K98az, it will go away.

I do wish people would write K98k instead of K98. When they write K98, I am expecting it to be a Polish short rifle.

;)
Regards,
Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.