1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's have a little fun.:)
What was your first car?

And/Or your best car?

I'll start;
My first car was a 1983 Z/28 Camaro 5.0 CrossFire Injection. Not a fast car, but a decent top end car. I went all over the country with that car, until it started nickle and dime-ing me to death.
I still have it...

I had an '89 IROC 5.7 hardtop, It was a great car. I hated to sell it...

My best car/most fun is a 1993 6 speed Vette. With a few mods it's pretty fast. Not quite as fast as newer ones but pretty fast for not digging into the engine/ juicing it.
But parts and/or labor are obscenely high for stuff I don't have the tools to work on it, or beyond my ability.
It's a fun car, not practical, but it's interesting to watch a woman with a short skirt get in and out.:D;)

So, would you all share, please.

· Registered
1,366 Posts
Dad had two junker station wagons he was ready to send to the scrap yard, one a 57 with a good body but busted motor the other a rusted out 58 that still had a good motor, one of my my older brothers suggested that he give them to me to build my own first car.
We pulled a good engine from a rusted out 58 Chevy station wagon and used it to replace the engine of the 57 chevy station wagon which had frozen and busted. There were enough minor parts between them to fix the 57 up nicely. I drove it for several years then gave it to a sister in law. I'd loaned it to her many times after I got a nice VW and she and my eldest brother had a houseful of kids so they needed a station wagon more than I did at the time.

Car I liked best was a 49 Plymouth Mayflower, got too hard to find parts for after awhile though. Most comfortable ride of any car I've owned.

· Registered
1,816 Posts
OK, I'll play. First, and maybe best Truck that I owned was a 1963 Chevy 1/2 ton, SWB stepside. I bought with my own money ($500.00) back in 1977. I put a lot of money into it, and tricked up the 283 with a number of performance mods, and really had more fun with it than any other vehicle that I have owned! It taught me lot's about driving and repairing vehicles, I was 16 years old at that time.

· Registered
3,937 Posts
First car, a Mazda RX2, my best, a 1974 Chevy El Camino.

· Registered
644 Posts
1967 Dodge Coronet 500 2dr hardtop.Got it in the spring of 1977 just before graduation from high school.Still have it.It needs a fair amount of work now as I havn't driven it in a few years,but I showed up at several high school reunions in it.

· Registered
209 Posts
My first car was a red 1979 Dodge Aspen station wagon.(AKA the Red Torpedo)
It had the slant-six truck engine.Very reliable.I had to let it go after the ball joints finally gave out.Replacing them would have cost more than the car was worth.

My favorite car was my '73 Chevy Nova SS.I put a LOT of work into that car.Mechanically speaking.
Otherwise it was your standard 20-something's hot-rod.
Primer gray paint job.Aluminum rims by American Racing.
I let it go because it was 'not practical'.
I still kick myself for selling it.
God I miss that car.

· Silver Bullet member
2,608 Posts
First car was a '78 Ford Fairmont station wagon, fake wood panels and all. Not the coolest ride but a family car hand down. A bit off topic but the worst car I ever owned was a '91 Lincoln Continental. Damn thing had an air ride system in which every single componet failed, and there were a lot. Had 2 electrical fires and the transmission finally went out. Had to beg the local junk yard guy to come and get it for free. Been sticking with Jeep ever since.

· Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
101,547 Posts
First car that was mine, bought by me and titled in my name was a 1966 VW 1600 Fastback. Good car if imperfect for US conditions when I brought it home (no AC). I think the best car in the sense of a fun car to drive amy have been the '74 Dasher. Best in terms of comfort, general trouble-free operation and such, probably the '89 Buick I'm driving right now.

· Platinum Bullet member
10,586 Posts
My 1st car was a 1955 Dodge Club Coupe w/ 270 Red Ram hemi. Two speed tranny w/ shifter on the dash. Cost me $350 in 1966.

I really liked my 1960 Pont Ventura bubble top, but my current ride - a 2005 Dodge RumbleBee pickup is close to my fave. SW

· Silver Bullet member
36,347 Posts
'94 Infiniti Q45 - nearly 150 mph top speed and no I never dared try it. But damned expensive to keep running thanks to a 4 cam variable valve V8 engine and transmission so complex Infiniti greatly simplified it and dropped the power a few years later.

Sold it when the expected near term maintenance cost exceeded the book value.

· Silver Bullet member
1,423 Posts
My first was a 1968 chevy wagon. I had to put a front clip on it which was a pretty easy job. I can't say it was a very cool ride but I had a lot of fun in that car. My current ride is a 2004 F-150 4x4. I've enjoyed this one since I bought it in 04 but it's just a tad nicer now that I made the last payment this month!

· Registered
2,345 Posts
first can

my first car was a 63 chevy impala witha 283 with power glide ,good lookin car at the time ,it had vg paint and new interior. i paid $300 for it in 1974 .worked all summer to save up the money for it. i kept it for 2 years and sold it to buy a 55 chevy 2 dr 150 post.it had a 327 with 4 speed trany and a 488 posi rearend .i got it from a car lot for $1000 that was the very first car i borrowed money from the bank to buy.my 3rd car was another 55 chevy belair that i still have

· Platinum Bullet Member
41,519 Posts
First, Best, and Favorite! My '70 Plymouth 'Cuda. Didn't always look this way way but she is now a multiple trophy-winner. 340 slap-stick auto, factory Limelight green, not a Six-Pack for any of you who might be curious. I ain't got that kind of money!

· Platinum Bullet Member
41,519 Posts
A close second goes to the '68 Coronet R/T(clone) She'll be on the road again soon.

· Platinum Bullet Member
41,519 Posts
First car, 1968 Impala, 250 six three on the tree. Had a ton of fun in it.
Best, the one I have now 2003 Toyota Camry. 75000 miles with NO problems only oil changes and a set of tires.
No tranny problems with that Camry? Mom's '02 Camry with 90K is on it's third tranny. Has made me think twice about buying foreign.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.