Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are putting together first aid kits. 1 for each vehicle, one for each of us, and our oldest son, for when we go hiking. And another big one for when we go family camping. I also want to make one for the range bag. What kind of first aid kits do you guys take to the range?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
We have a very full kit at the clubhouse for any member to use as necessary. In addition to that, we carry some bandaids and ointments in the range bag.

What you need in a kit really depends on where you will be and what else is available.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi,

There really isn't a whole lot stuff you need. A few assorted bandaids, perhaps a couple of 4x4's, a small roll of duct tape, (yes duct tape), small tube of burn creame and bug-bite ointment.

Of course seasonal items and regional items would also be nice. Cold weather items like a blanket and a candy/energy bar or two for winter travel. Perhaps some bottled water for summer time. Snake bite kit in those areas can be a good idea.

Oh, and the most important medical tool you can carry, your cell phone. There aren't many places that those of us in the "civilized world" :rolleyes: get to that EMS isn't more than a few minutes away.

And finally if you take prescription medications, make a list of them with dosages and put it in your wallet.

HTH,
dalee

·
Registered
89 Posts
Finally a question I can answer. This is an area that you can totally overdo it or get stuck with a bunch of worthless crap in a premade first aid kit, so building your own kit is the way to go. As for the kit, it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Assuming all your shooting is at a gun range a cheapie first aid kit is probably fine because more than likely you wont ever use it. Personally I don't care for the public range. I like to get as far away from people as I can and prefer going out into the boonies with a few buddies with a cooler full of meat and a tailgate BBQ. This type of shooting requires more in the first aid kit with a few specific items. First and foremost you need a few pairs of medical gloves, a mask, safety glasses, and a cheap mouth to mouth barrier decive just in case...basically you need items that protect you from body substances of others. There are some items that are an absolute must in the bandage department....roller bandages, cravats (triangular bandages), and compresses. You can even pick up a couple Carlisle compresses fairly cheap from a military surplus store. They are around $3 and worth every penny. Sterilized water, alcohol prep pads, waterproof matches, medical tape, scissors, bandaids of all shapes, antibiotic ointment, gauze pads (4X4's), space blanket, bottle of saline solution, insect sting relief, Q-tips, ace bandages, small burn pads, burn ointment, sunblock, 2-3 instant ice packs, flashlight, and hand warmers. Also, some sort of pain relief tablet, and for sure get some diphenhydramine (Benadryl). This is a multi-purpose kit that you wont outgrow and it all fits in a small bag. As an EMT and an avid hiker, I used to carry more stuff, but these are the first aid items that I've used most, especially the Benadryl. It seems like someone is always allergic to something. You can always add to the kit, but this is bare minimum of what I carry. Hope it helps.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,526 Posts
FA jut

The wife and I are putting together first aid kits. 1 for each vehicle, one for each of us, and our oldest son, for when we go hiking. And another big one for when we go family camping. I also want to make one for the range bag. What kind of first aid kits do you guys take to the range?
I'd highly recommend squeeze bottles of sterile water, the eye flush kind. If you're out in the woods, or at the range, you need to be able to wash a wound out with clean water. Ice chest water just won't do!. Ointment, large gauze pads, 4 x 4 or so, an eye patch or two, tape, (duct or otherwise). Bandaids of course. I witnessed a slam fire one time, (ugly), and it split the guys palm in two, then sprayed the gash with burning powder. Was rough. He was lucky, as there was an EMT on the line, and he had his full kit with him. I've always used hard primers after that!!! The fact you are thinking about it is a good sign.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts