Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking at buying myself a semi-auto in .22. The only guns i have is a hand full of air rifles, a mosin and a sporterized 1898 krag , and i was looking at getting myself a .22 just for plinkin. ive looked at 10/22's and 597's and a few others (henry ar-7:p) and i'm not sure what i want to go with. i'm not to big into customizing and putting on a million accessories i'm just lokin for a reliable .22 for plinkin. would prefer one that i can get a high capacity magazine (30-50). plus i don't really want to spend an arm and a leg, prefer to keep it under 300.
anybody got any suggestions?
Polkey

·
Registered
570 Posts
The only choice for high capacity is pretty much the Ruger 10-22. A new carbine runs around two bills at Wally's and other outlets. A good used one could be found at the gun&pawn shops for $100 to $150 in good shape. The high cap magazines are generally 25-rounders, though a bigger drum is available from The Sportsman's Guide catalog website.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you want high-cap mags and a large variety of aftermarket parts, go with a Ruger 10/22. I shot a few of my friends Ruger 10/22 and they're decently accurate and reliable. I own a Remington 597 myself. I bought it used for $125. It's the basic model with a dark gray synthetic stock and matte black action and barrel. I discovered that the stock inletting wasn't quite right. It's supposed to be free floating but it was touching the barrel about halfway down. I took a dremel to it and also polished the hammer and sear engagement surfaces. Now it shoots sub-moa at 100 yards and has a nice (but slightly heavy) trigger pull. Great rifle for the price. I've never had any major issues with it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
First one you want nice or cheap?

I would have to ask if you want to keep your first .22? then get somthing worth keeping like a Browning or a Browning Designed model
A new made one is the Taurus 63R a really sweet shooterthat is around $300, even 10/22's are getting up there and this one is made all of machined steel and tube fed with some the best wood Ive seen hung on a .22.
otherwise its a Marlin model 60 or a Ruger 10/22.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.