Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1934 Tula 91/30 in almost perfect condition. The only problem is the amount of force required to compress the firing pin spring. it. I've complerly removed any traces of cosmoline, polished the mating surfaces to a mirror finish, and lubed it up. The amount of force required to open/compress the firing pin spring doesn't change whether the chamber has a spent case in it or if the chamber is empty. Once the firing pin spring is cocked, the bolt is smooth as butter.

So, my question is...Are there other weaker firing pin springs available that will still have enough energy to fire the primer?

Edit note: When I posted this, I learned that you can't use the tecnhically correct word to describe compressing the firing pin spring. I guess I'd have the same problem if I was talking about a rooster. So., where you see "compress the firing pin", just imagine the technically correct word.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I have found several different sizes of springs in 91/30s. Not just in lb pressure, but size of the springs.

These rifles were straight from the importer, so there must be different sizes installed by the folks who re furb these in Russia.

Also, Wolff sells M/N springs. Normal is supposed to be 21 lbs. Wolff sells stronger springs.

You can try cutting off a coil and see what happens. Springs are cheap and you can experiment around, until you find what works.

Resources\Ordering

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I trimmed it back a little at a time (I'm becoming an expert at bolt assembly/disassembly) and now it has a nice firm action that's firm but smooth when cocking it. It pretty much matches my 1891 and M44 so I think I'm good to go. Tomorrow I'll make sure it barks when I pull the triggger. Again, thanks for the advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.