Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new M44 to the range for the first time.
First time for this gun and first time firing a MN.

Not knowing the gun, I was a bit apprehensive at first.

I fired first some prvi partizan 150grain SP. Fired great! Not much kick. Hit target good at 100yards, and tried 3 times at 200 yards. But open sight and my old eyes and too few hours sleep last night, I hit 12 inch target twice, 3rd shot not real close.

Then I tried some Russian surplus ammo (not sure what grain) Wow, had a bit more kick. I wasn't quite as accurate with those, hitting high and left.

I loved this rifle even before I fired it, even more now, but I think I will stay with the non surplus as much as possible.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That first time is great isn't it? I was able to fire a few rounds through my new 91/30 last weekend with my brother-in-law and we had a great time. He'd never been around one when it was fired and couldn't believe the smoke show it put on when fired. My sister bought him a beat up, non numbers matching M44 at a gun show and I believe he plans on firing it this weekend. Won't be able to make it but I'm interested in hearing what he thinks of it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Definitely leaves a lasting impression doesn't it! :D

Did you extend the Bayonet or keep it folded? That will affect the POI most times. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely leaves a lasting impression doesn't it! :D

Did you extend the Bayonet or keep it folded? That will affect the POI most times. :D
Mine has the bayonet missing. The previous owner is trying to locate where he stored it.

I hope he finds it as I would like to try it extended to see the difference.
But, it seemed to hit pretty good without it on the "hunting" shells.
But the surplus shells where all left and high. The bayonet may have helped with these.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Mine has the bayonet missing. The previous owner is trying to locate where he stored it.

I hope he finds it as I would like to try it extended to see the difference.
But, it seemed to hit pretty good without it on the "hunting" shells.
But the surplus shells where all left and high. The bayonet may have helped with these.
What type surplus were you shooting? Different ammo shoots differently. The PRVI is good stuff but I'm sure it'd be nice to find cheaper ammo that shoots well too. :D

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
The groups on my M44 are much tighter when I shoot with the bayo extended. It also affects the POI considerably. The POI I could have adjusted with the sights but the tighter group can only be accomplished by having my bayo extended. Of course, YMMV...

·
Gold Bullet member
3,083 Posts
Mucho fun to shoot. I took one out today I had not shot before. I didn't know how much I missed the fireball and howitzer sound when shooting a mosin carbine.:D Tomorrow I'm dragging my 1943 M44 to the range!

PAshutr3

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What type surplus were you shooting? Different ammo shoots differently. The PRVI is good stuff but I'm sure it'd be nice to find cheaper ammo that shoots well too. :D

I am not sure what grain. I am going to find out tomorrow. All I know is that it was made in 1984, Russian made.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts