Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Admin Emeritus
19,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys can anybody decode the writing on the pukko? The battle areas are not an issue and it seems both Jatkosota and Talivisota areas but what about the inscription?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,767 Posts
They are all geographical areas, battlefields/areas - not quite sure which inscriptions/engravings you are asking about. With one exception they are all Finnish names, the Russian name I have to look up where it's at.
Quite a history behind this puukko - or rather it's original owner

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,355 Posts
Gawd Vic,

The connections you must have in Finland to find such a unique knife. Can we see a photo of the Puukko out of the sheath? Are the metal bits on the sheath silver? The engraver had a good hand, beautiful work.

Lancebear

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,767 Posts
I suspect the meal is aircraft aluminium ....it was a popular metal for trench art. Wouldn't surprise me if it came from a downed Soviet aircraft.

Actually - looking at the names of the puukko it should be possible to narrow down the unit the soldier served in ... at least to a certain degree - like the division or maybe even the regiment - it's almost like following a map.

·
Site Contributor
1,341 Posts
If you mean 2 lines above "1939-1940", they are areas as well: Jandebajoki and Podnorotze
Actually, I think it's Podporoze (Koskenala):
http://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=fi&q=podporozhje&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

The place names above 1939 - 1940 seem to be places of battles in summer of 1941 and give a route of advance from Finnish border (or close by, I can't read the first ones from the photo) to areas around River Syväri / Svir. Could indeed be possibly narrowed down to some particular unit. The place names seem familiar - could be 1st Jaeger Brigade or some of the associated units?

Jarkko

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,767 Posts
I think Podnorotze might be a misspelling of Podporožje, which is a small village along the Vodla river

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,767 Posts
Koskenala - I knew I had seen a Finnish name for it somewhere. I actually have pictures from the area - taken by an artillery observer (2nd.Lt.) with KTR 8 that had spent some time in the area around there

·
Site Contributor
1,341 Posts
I checked some books and the owner of that puukko may have indeed served in summer of 1941 in 1st Jaeger Brigade (1. Jääkäriprikaati). Interesting and very a elite unit in Finnish Army during that war - later its name was simply changed as Jaeger Brigade and it was the (bicycle/ski) infantry part of (one and only) Armour Division. All the places fit to that unit, most will also fit to Infantry Regiment 44, except the last two or three.

Jarkko

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
That's really awesome that you could track that down Jarkko. Invaluable information. :)

·
Admin Emeritus
19,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Those two Russian names in the Finnish spellings threw me. It is quite a knife. The blade is a simple trench made pukko. Nothing fancy. It was a working knife I'd think. I agree the metal is simple pound riveted and does appear to be of the aircraft aluminium we are used to seeing on these trench pukko.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.