Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You read that right! It is a bit of a franken-gun - showing how the Finns worked with what they had and made use of it.
As you might know, Tikka made target rifles in the 1930s. I didn't know they made them on Arisaka actions until I found this one in Europe a couple years ago and it finally arrived after two years of paperwork nightmares (importing is expensive and frustrating!). Notice the action is likely captured from the Russians in the Civil War (crossed out cannonballs/sold out of service on the mum). Weighs 18 lbs! Nice diopter and chambered in 54r. Also - take a look at the barrel thickness. It is much much thicker than even a maxim barrel (pictured in last image):

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Sparky, thank you for sharing this! I've read about this particular variant in one of my Arisaka books. Neat to actually see such an example. I've also seen photos of them with the Swiss made barrels, but I think those are still in military configuration.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right - there are Civil Guard re-barreled Arisakas with 500 SIG barrels in 1925 - in military configuration and they have the CG crest on top. I saw one of these in person in Finland and a couple are in the US. This is a bit later and done at Tikka, not SAKO.

·
Site Contributor
1,306 Posts
Nice find! This rifle type is commonly referred as vapaakivääri (free rifle) in Finland, since that is the shooting sports that they were intended for. I have seen some, they tend to have exceedingly heavy barrels and diopter sights and often are single shot only.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Neat rifle! Another variant I was unaware of, since the target rifles are a topic I have not studied much. Very cool and unusual rifle! :)

Pahtu.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,406 Posts
Neat rifle! Another variant I was unaware of, since the target rifles are a topic I have not studied much. Very cool and unusual rifle! :)

Pahtu.
I would have to agree with you. And, chambered for 54r.

Is that an Arisaka bolt? Can you show detailed pics please? Were there any changes to the receiver?

Very interesting indeed.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Great piece of History
Thanks for sharing Sparky
Just another example of the Finn's innovative way of making ONE more gun.
The way they made quality more than quanity, always intrigues me. This variant for sure wasn't made in quantity. Very nice.
Thank you sir.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,532 Posts
Thanks for sharing this Mr. Sparky {old fashioned attempt to sound respectful not sarcastic}. I only built one full blown target bolt gun but I still have a passion for real target rifles and the history/lore of those who competed with them. If target rifles talked like the war horses do, they would be constantly whining about that one shot that lost the match rather than the horrors of war. Very cool rifle.

Have been shooting 1911s and not rifle lately. But with my new shooting glasses there is hope even if slim hope for me and iron sights. which means I should play with my two m28/76 rifles. Not as rare a bird as this one you shared but it would make me warm and fuzzy. Nice stuff you got back here. Congrats on all of it. That .22 is stuff warm and fuzzy dreams are made of too! Regards, John.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice find! This rifle type is commonly referred as vapaakivääri (free rifle) in Finland, since that is the shooting sports that they were intended for. I have seen some, they tend to have exceedingly heavy barrels and diopter sights and often are single shot only.
In Europe "free rifle" is a competion class itself and it means rifle is "free" from restriction (trigger pull, barrel lenght and so on) of the "standard rifle" class.

·
None of your business.
17,406 Posts
"Is that an Arisaka bolt? Can you show detailed pics please? Were there any changes to the receiver?"

Never mind these questions. The wow factor of this rifle blinded me with awesomeness. I have since come to my senses and pulled a book(s) out and answered my questions. Dusty books at that. It's been awhile for me and Japanese weapons.

Now, This particular weapon is fascinating. I had honestly never heard of it at all.

·
Registered
900 Posts
At the risk of asking a stupid question.....
The stock is most unusual, but I have no target rifle experience....is this the stock the Finns put on originally when they assembled the reciever/barrel/action; or is this a stock placed on afterwards, by an individual?

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"Is that an Arisaka bolt? Can you show detailed pics please? Were there any changes to the receiver?"

Never mind these questions. The wow factor of this rifle blinded me with awesomeness. I have since come to my senses and pulled a book(s) out and answered my questions. Dusty books at that. It's been awhile for me and Japanese weapons.

Now, This particular weapon is fascinating. I had honestly never heard of it at all.
What did you find out? I've never seen any info on this type of gun in print. I'd like to know also. This is less common than the Tikka M34 target rifle made with Mauser actions. I have one of those also. The Tikka M34 uses a modified LS-26 mag and is covered in Palokangas. Also less common than the Type 38 with SIG barrel (anyone have one here?)

·
None of your business.
17,406 Posts
What did you find out? I've never seen any info on this type of gun in print. I'd like to know also. This is less common than the Tikka M34 target rifle made with Mauser actions. I have one of those also. The Tikka M34 uses a modified LS-26 mag and is covered in Palokangas. Also less common than the Type 38 with SIG barrel (anyone have one here?)
Sorry, nothing on this particular weapon. Like I stated above, I had never heard of this one at all, and can find nothing in print.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
That barrel is huge! The first picture is pretty deceptive, it makes the action looks small within the stock. FWIW, Maxim barrels are pretty thin for an MG. My Maxim barrels are pencils compared to my DP28 barrel. But that's not a fair comparison to a bolt action target rifle barrel. Huge! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Weighs 18 lbs! Nice diopter and chambered in 54r. Also - take a look at the barrel thickness. It is much much thicker than even a maxim barrel (pictured in last image):
I have copy of Tikkakoski's sales records, here's the closest thing I found, although the calibre is marked as 7.65mm. 15 barrels were sold in 1934, most of which were sold directly to individuals. Other custom barrels ordered in 1934 were chambered to 6mm.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts