Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up off of ebay a few weeks ago. I thought it would go well with some of the other SA equipment I have. I liked the SA, T, and crossed cannons Z mark on it. I saw a lot of different varients online, is there any source to learn a bit more on these?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think this one ran about $25 off ebay with shipping. There are quite a few sellers and they run from that on the low end to about $40. The paint still holds quite a bit of a glow after being in the light.

·
Site Contributor
1,346 Posts
Picked this up off of ebay a few weeks ago. I thought it would go well with some of the other SA equipment I have. I liked the SA, T, and crossed cannons Z mark on it. I saw a lot of different varients online, is there any source to learn a bit more on these?
Nice Finnish military compass M/34. This was the standard issue Finnish military compass during World War 2 and a pretty good compass for in those days (filled with alcohol-solution, which kept it working no matter how cold the weather was and thanks to phoshporus in its most important markings it worked night as well) - just compare to Soviet one, which according what I have read had a tendency of its liquid freezing in very cold weather.

Markings seems to be pretty standard Finnish Army property markings (except the Z with crossed cannons in left upper corner, which I don't remember seeing before - could be a depot marking of some sort?). Manufacturer (O/y Suunto aka "Ltd Suunto" in Helsinki) is marked on the right upper corner.

I don't know any real good source about these, unless one considers such the discussion had here last January, which contains some info (I also suggest checking the Axis History Forum discussion linked in there - among other things the discussion there contains a "family photo" of Finnish Armed Forces compass models, which I posted there).
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=25183

Jarkko

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
The Z is a depot marking Jaarko. It can be found on other equipment and on 39 stocks too I beleive.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I think this one ran about $25 off ebay with shipping. There are quite a few sellers and they run from that on the low end to about $40. The paint still holds quite a bit of a glow after being in the light.
Might just have to try and get me one! :D I carry a compass all the time but it'd be really cool to have a Finnish SA marked one. :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think this will only help me poach in your area. I tested the compass and it point to any Finn firearm within 50 miles. The only way you will beat me now is to get a Finnish GPS to exactly pinpoint their location.

Thanks for all the help on the different models. I learned quite a bit on the other posting. I think I'm going to have to keep an eye open and pick up some of the later models.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.