Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy and I collect Brits (as well as Finns) and we picked up a couple of demilled Sten Mk III kits to weld back together as display guns. Much to my surprise, there was the familiar [SA] on the magazine shroud. Anybody else notice this/have one? ~Andy

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello!

The Finnish Defence Forces (SA) received 76,115 second-hand Sten Mk2 and Mk3 submachine guns in echange of Terni rifles, Swedish m/21 and French m/15 automatic rifles.

This deal was made in 1957 and 1958 with Interarmco.

Regards,

Mestari

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
So then could it be said these were much later production than the regular ww2 models?

It seems to suggest they were already made, and happened to be sold to the Finns, but then why would they already be mfg'd with SA markings?

Thanks for the clarification!

·
Copper Bullet member
1,738 Posts
They might have been manufactured at any time, but would have received the SA mark sometime after acceptance into the Finn army.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The SA marked British S.T.E.N. guns were WW-2 manufacture, as there was no need to produce any after WW-2.
The Finnish Army was happy to get rid of a whole bunch of junk [M-38 Carcano short Rifles], and at the time the Finnish Army thought the S.T.E.N. was a good trade. However after a few accidents on the range the S.T.E.N. was NEVER fired again in Finland, and that's not even with blanks!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. Interesting and informative responses. Funny about the Sten accidents: An English buddy of mine related that his Dad sat out WWII because of an accident with a Sten. Somebody dropped one while they were off loading a truck and his dad caught the burst! Scary weapons but I'll have this one welded up so it can never be fired as well! ~Andy

·
Registered
604 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts