Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two banners made by the SS veterans association. They are much like what was seen on the WW2 banner and as I understand it these are rare outside of Finland. I was pleased to have these offered to me from a good friend.

These are based on the WW2 banners used by the SS - For these JR27 was also added to show the German service in WW1 and with the SS in WW2. While I do not collect SS I find these to be interesting items. When I received these I was asked please not to sell them and they are not going anywhere. I will mount these banners and place them in my gunroom

Attachments

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Tuco, did Finns serve with the SS "Wiking" division? I just picked up a "Wiking" SS ring a couple weeks ago. (vet bring back)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Those are really nice looking banners. Wikingin Suomalaiset Nordland by Kari Kuusela is a very good picture book with about 500 pictures of the Finnish SS.

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will post some book links tomorrow as I picked up a few in Finland. These are the books the Finns state are the best so I think good picks. There are some other books that I am going to review as well dealing with Finnish tanks and the like

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was hesitating guite a lot before answering because don`t have exact numbers.
About 1600 Finns went to Germany to fight AGAINST CCCP not for Hitler or Nazis, and
they were called here in Finland Hostage batallion. Think everybody knows that those
divisions were Waffen SS ones.
There have been at least one officer in US army carrying SS uniform, Lauri Törni alias
Larry Thorne KIA in Vietnam.

·
Administrator
19,254 Posts
When did you join the NDSAP Tuco? :D

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was hesitating guite a lot before answering because don`t have exact numbers.
About 1600 Finns went to Germany to fight AGAINST CCCP not for Hitler or Nazis, and
they were called here in Finland Hostage batallion. Think everybody knows that those
divisions were Waffen SS ones.
There have been at least one officer in US army carrying SS uniform, Lauri Törni alias
Larry Thorne KIA in Vietnam.
Yes but in the Wiking Division I think the numbers are around what I stated. Interesting history for sure.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,843 Posts
Holy smokes, that banner is NICE. Great piece of Finn and Waffen SS history, don't EVER let that one go!

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Finn's are good people and really were put in between a rock and a hard place, caught between Hitler and Stalin. Russia had coveted Finland for centuries it wasn't until 1918 that they were able to break away from Russian control. They tried to get support from Sweden and Britain when the Russians started moving in on them again in 1939 to no avail, they finally had no choice but turn to the Germans for aid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts