Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked this one up from my LGS 2 days ago. Matching bolt, intact Civil Guard number. The Izhevsk bow/arrow proof at the bottom of the shank has been overstruck with the "ATV1" stamp.

The top receiver flat Imperial proof appears to have been overstruck with another stamp, but I'm unable to make out what it is.

Finnish_P-27_full.jpg
Barrel_shank.jpg Austrian_proof.jpg recvr_overstamp.jpg
bolt_serno.jpg Civil_Guard_no.jpg View attachment 3692433
buttplate.jpg front_sight_blade.jpg muzzle.jpg

Attachments

·
Diamond Member
5,367 Posts
Nice one Gunhorde congrats. Check out the AV1 a little closer. It is really a ATV1 stamp....one of my favorites. Denny

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice one Gunhorde congrats. Check out the AV1 a little closer. It is really a ATV1 stamp....one of my favorites. Denny

Thanks Denny! I've corrected my post. I looked up ATV1 and found this:

ATV1
Ase- ja Ampumatarvikevarikko 1
Arms and Munition Depot 1

My selection of Austrian proofed Mosin-Nagants is very limited, unfortunately. I need to change that.

·
Diamond Member
5,367 Posts
ATV1 name change to AV1 in very late 1929 or early 1930's IIRC.....I have come across two different dates. Denny

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice. Must be a great lgs.

It is, I give them a lot of business. There are very few shops in my area, so anyone with a collection to sell usually brings it there. They take in a lot of nice stuff, and they try to stay away from the run-of-the-mill hunting rifles, etc. There's a lot of that coming in, people are trying to make money while they're out of work and so on. So he's getting in a lot of things that people wouldn't normally be willing to part with. I'd be buying a lot more of it if I had the funds.

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ATV1 name change to AV1 in very late 1929 or early 1930's IIRC.....I have come across two different dates. Denny

Any idea what may have been stamped over the Imperial proof on the receiver flat? I can't tell if the crown has been overstruck, or stamped with something else.

It's not the walking bear proof, I just found a photo of that and it's nothing like what's on my rifle.

·
Diamond Member
5,367 Posts
Any idea what may have been stamped over the Imperial proof on the receiver flat? I can't tell if the crown has been overstruck, or stamped with something else.

It's not the walking bear proof, I just found a photo of that and it's nothing like what's on my rifle.
Still trying to figure it out. Kinda looks like a crown. Denny

·
Gold Bullet member
4,947 Posts
Looks sort of like a sub mariner Navy sort of stamping? Sort of sea serpent stamping? Bill

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Double-struck crown and something else...

I see 2 crowns, one over the other, slightly above and tilted to the right. But there's something else besides the 2 crowns... and that crown doesn't resemble the normal Russian Imperial proofs that I can remember seeing.

The closest profile to that crown that I'm finding online is Serbian - the smaller crown at the top is similar.

serbian_monarchy.png

·
Registered
763 Posts
great rifle, thanks for sharing...would like to add a P-26/27 to the collection someday

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,435 Posts
Somehow I missed this one till now. Very cool rifle and one of many I do not have in my collection and probably never will. Thanks for sharing it.
Regards, John.

·
Gold Bullet Member
799 Posts
I've been collecting Mosins for almost twenty years, the P series has always alluded me.
Nice find!

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,009 Posts
Wow - nice find. THey didn't do a very good scrub job! I think it is a Serb crown. I have a couple with that mark.

You had a P25 that said "P25"? Can you post a picture or tell us the number please?

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's the P-26 I uesd to own.

Wow - nice find. THey didn't do a very good scrub job! I think it is a Serb crown. I have a couple with that mark.

You had a P25 that said "P25"? Can you post a picture or tell us the number please?

I'll see if I can find anything on it, it was very early in my collecting addiction, and I didn't know how rare they were. Here are a few photos of the P-26 I had many years ago.

P-26.jpg

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
4,947 Posts
John I have found the P series rifles to not be real good shooters. They do seem to be very reactive to hot cleaning at the range, I have posted multirole times about the one I have that is like new where the animals at Century actually stamped the import mark on the end of the barrel so hard they dimpled the liner inward and made me afraid to shoot it. The fact that this liner dimpled inward so easily and they seem to be very receptive to hot cleaning makes wonder if maybe the steel in those liners is a bit softer the normal Mosin barrel steel? I have no idea where to look to get information on my obvious wild assed guess so I will just bring it forward and leave it at that. I have one P-series rifle that really looked shot out when I got it. Shooting it and hot cleaning it with a stainless steel brush and Sweets with a wash of Kroil oil suddenly brought forth a bore of a sorts and decent 100 yard shooting resulted. I took my other P-series rifles at a later date and hit them all the same way and all of a sudden I had better looking bores and shooting. None of them are great shooters though. Bill

·
Registered
736 Posts
Back when I had/sold a lot of the Finn's, I slugged the bores on a lot of them. I had at least 2, maybe three P's and they had oval shaped bores by about .001". None of the others I slugged had this problem. Shooting??? I don't remember.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts