Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a Finnish Model 28-30 Civil Guard rifle in a pawn shop. The rifle in very good condition , serial no. 62xxx, dated 1939. It appears all correct except it is missing the aluminum barrel bushing at the nose cap that I have seen described on other web sites. Do any of you know it copies of this bushing are available and if so can the front sight be removed with out a great deal of effort to place the bushing over the barrel?

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,964 Posts
you might try reading on mosinnagant.net about the later 28/30's. I don't think the late ones used the barrel bushing. might be wrong though, it's been a while since I read through that section. my latest dated one is 1937 and does have it, though. y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
my brand new 28/30 stock just has 2 metal tabs that stick up about 1/8" from the stock, does the bushing sit on the tabs?

·
Registered
39 Posts
When they made these 28-30 rifles all had these aluminium barrel bushing. But when rifles got repaired or refurbished in arms depot, they didn't put these aluminium bushings back and no new ones were made, because they saw these were unnecessary. If 28-30 has aluminium barrel bushing it means mostlikely it is untouched and valuable rifle. I also have 28-30 but has not this bushing (has rematched numbers).

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,964 Posts
that makes sense. I'm putting a postwar 28/30 stock on a 37 date and had to inlet the stock for the bushing, as it wouldn't fit. Rifle came in the original stock, but it was completely trashed by bubba. all of the 28/30 stocks that i've seen on the market seemed too small in that area for the bushing to fit.
That would also make sense with the s/n ranges. if the bushing removal was done as a repair, it would be completely random as far as s/n's go.
y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Administrator
12,070 Posts

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
I never knew you were into Finns Nick?

·
Administrator
12,070 Posts
I ain't, only bought it because I liked the bushing.

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
Hook me up Riude I could use one or two.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Riude, I don't know how to contact you directly but I would like to have a couple of the bushings. If you can contact me I would appreciate it. Thanks to all of you for your help. Any sugestions on how best to remove the front sight?
Gunfun

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
if the bushing removal was done as a repair, it would be completely random as far as s/n's go.
y'all have a good day, Keith[/QUOTE]

I have found that there are signs of one being there at sometime on some of my 28/30's but I would say Keith's statement above about them being random really covers the lot! With or without they all seem to shoot fairly well so I guess that is the most important thing to me. Bill

1 - 19 of 19 Posts