Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a Finnish M39 a 1944 Sako and wanted to know the date of the original Hex Receiver. However, I found no examples of any other single digit tang markings on the marking guide on 7.62x54r.net or on any of the other forums I have read.

The tang marking is a single 8, or what appears to be an 8. There are no other light struck markings or worn away markings on the tang.

If anyone knows what it means I'd be more than enthusiastic to know.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looks like an 1890's Izhevsk; if you look just above the 8 in the top pic, you can make out a very faint bow & arrow. Also, if I remember right, Izhevsk was the only factory to put the full date on the tang. Tula and Sestroryetsk for exaple would say "96" or "14".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like an 1890's Izhevsk; if you look just above the 8 in the top pic, you can make out a very faint bow & arrow. Also, if I remember right, Izhevsk was the only factory to put the full date on the tang. Tula and Sestroryetsk for exaple would say "96" or "14".
I've gone over the tang and I can't make out the remnant of the bow and arrow, however on the recoil lug of the receiver there's a small Star I don't know if it's just a inspection mark or if it means Tula just thought it would be relevant to identify the maker or the date.

But with the 8 I was looking on the bolt head and the same star and 8 is also on it

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've gone over the tang and I can't make out the remnant of the bow and arrow, however on the recoil lug of the receiver there's a small Star I don't know if it's just a inspection mark or if it means Tula just thought it would be relevant to identify the maker or the date.
But with the 8 I was looking on the bolt head and the same star and 8 is also on it
You could very well be right, I've never seen a maker's mark on the recoil lug. The bolt head means nothing though, it's unlikely that it's original to the rifle. Also keep in mind that the Tula star didn't appear until 1920, and not until 1928 on small parts like bolt heads.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I think the original date and marking were scrubbed from the tang. Not sure why the "8" is there. I cannot guess a maker from the photos of the receiver.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the bolt it self is a mix of makers it's matching to the gun though

Most likely because the Finn's forced matched it. the bolt body has either the Izhevsk arrow or a Sestroryetsk it's hard to tell since most of the shaft is missing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think the original date and marking were scrubbed from the tang. Not sure why the "8" is there. I cannot guess a maker from the photos of the receiver.
this^ definitely looks like a quick and sloppy scrub was done... IMO can’t determine if it’s antique or have additional value from being an antique

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Bolt body looks to be Sestroretsk and cocking piece is Soviet era Izhevsk and the bolt is Soviet era Tula. Makers of the parts don't really matter much except just having a general knowledge for yourself (it can be interesting to try identify all the makers and marks). Most Mosins are going to have a mix of parts from various factories. Original matching rifles are pretty scarce.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bolt body looks to be Sestroretsk and cocking piece is Soviet era Izhevsk as well as the bolt. Makers of the parts don't really matter much except just having a general knowledge for yourself (it can be interesting to try identify all the makers and marks). Most Mosins are going to have a mix of parts from various factories. Original matching rifles are pretty scarce.
Which is what I figured. I was just curious about the 8 stamped on the tang because I'd never seen or read about a single digit on the tang. I have more markings on the side of the tang but I doubt they would be any use, but I'll post them just in case.

I was kinda disappointed when I took the rifle apart after getting it home to not find a date but a mysterious 8 seems like a good compromise.

·
Diamond Member
6,421 Posts
FWIW...early Izhevsk receivers have a 3 stamped along with the date and Bow&Arrow. Sometimes a 8 also. Denny

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's very interesting about the early Izhevsk's I'll have to go back and read up about that.

Since in all likelihood it was scrubbed I was thinking it might possibly be an inspectors mark. The idea also came to me that if I really wanted to know I could do the forensic acid etch like they do on scrubbed serial numbers on guns to reveal the old stamping underneath but again just an idea.

·
Diamond Member
6,421 Posts
That's very interesting about the early Izhevsk's I'll have to go back and read up about that.

Since in all likelihood it was scrubbed I was thinking it might possibly be an inspectors mark. The idea also came to me that if I really wanted to know I could do the forensic acid etch like they do on scrubbed serial numbers on guns to reveal the old stamping underneath but again just an idea.
The part about the 3 and the 8 is just an observation of mine (and others from over the years). Doubt you will find any real documentation on this.....maybe in one of Ratniks book's?

Denny

1 - 12 of 12 Posts