Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I understand, this SA marked 1941 M38 carbine was Finish capture and is relatively rare. I few questions and appreciate any input on good and bad points. Serial numbers on the metal match. No counter bore with good rifling. No M44 bayonet cutout. The stock is beat up a little. Initials carved in. I am assuming a little honest wear is better than being refurbished. I dont have a good sense if the SA is a big deal or just a talking point for the seller. No import stamping visible.

There are stamping s on the butt stock which I like to understand:
One side has a D and circle T
Other side has circle nn and a silver dollar size circle shaped cartouche.

There is one leather strap. Should I keep that or take it off.
I have 5 photos:

·
Registered
375 Posts
A continuation war capture m38 is a desirable find. I would leave the dog collar (leather strap). I can’t help you with any specific meaning for the stock markings, but that’s how WWII era Izhevsk stocks were marked

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Definitely better as is than refurbished. Are are the serial numbers (barrel, buttplate, bolt, and magazine) stamped matching? The cartouches on the side of the buttstock are correct for that maker and year. It would be good to have a clean close up of the SA mark.

If it’s all matching and on whether the SA adds value: there are two divided camps. Finn collectors will obviously say yes. Pure Russian collectors would prefer no. Generally all matching and unrefurbished examples are uncommon. Matching Finn captures are even more so IMO as Finnish ones are often unrefurbished but mix masters. A nice totally original Finnish capture will bring $1000 or more. Very rare years perhaps twice that in the right auction. On the low end, Finnish capture mix masters generally start around $600 (if no major issues like a cracked stock) and go from there. Perhaps a Russian collector will weigh in on values of straight Russian guns. I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
That it's SA marked, matching, and in original stock makes it a very desirable M38. As far as I’m concerned any matching Finn is desirable let alone an M38. That’s a keeper.
Richard

·
Site Contributor
1,269 Posts
Who knows....maybe your M38 is in this pic???? 👍
Or this one. SA-kuva.fi photo archive photo number 66010, photographed by Tauno Norjavirta in December of 1941.

Finnish military does not seem to have been that interested (small number) of captured carbines M/38 and M/44, hence I am having doubts if would have even bothered to put much effort in fixing one that either broke down or was too worn out, instead of just taking it apart and recycling useful parts.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Nice carbine! It was produced in August 1941.
Stock finish looks darker than normal, so seems some changes in technology were already made.
Stock also have neat feature - splice at the buttstock, which was very rarely used at pre 1945 stocks

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
17,782 Posts
I would be interested to see all matching numbers. Would likely be original matching.

As previously mentioned, Finland didn't focus a lot of effort on carbines, so they probably wouldn't take the time to stamp a bolt to match.

Nice looking piece with sharp stock markings. It would definitely be more valuable without the SA. But non-refurbished, non-import marked war time carbines should be snapped up with or without!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
What a lovely carbine, very nice indeed.

As much as I like all Mosins I particularly love old rifles like this with non-refurbed stocks etc, they just have so much more character than standard Soviet refurbs 👍

·
Registered
189 Posts
Very cool, I have a similar Finn marked M38, all matching/original, it’s just before yours with a KA serial prefix.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Very nice! I really love my M38. Refurbed, but nice. They feel good in-hands.
Yours has had quite the journey. Anyone speculate on the events/places along the way until it got into the OP's hands?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts