Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that always happens the same to me - as soon as I find a nice rifle and buy it (in this case a short version Brazilian M1935 Mauser) an even more interesting one pops up... Why not buy this, too? Simply because I'm blocked after a purchase for six months according to our stupid German firearms laws... So I have to let this Finnish M28/30 sniper go, but at least want to show you some nice pictures:

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,551 Posts
Um.

Finnish m28/30 PU SNIPER?

more INFORMATION please?

I am dubious to say the least...sorry, until some of the more SEASONED members chime in...I am thinking...uh uh...

·
Registered
23,420 Posts
I've never heard of the Finns making a sniper version of the M28/30 either. The M39 snipers I have heard of only through Vic and Tuco on Mosinnagant.net; but I've never heard of a M28/30 sniper.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Description of the seller reads as follows:

Sniper Mosin-Nagant/SAKO Model 28/30 (1934), Finland

• Cal. 7,62x54
  • Bore mirror shining
  • Overall condition 2
  • Overall length: 118cm
  • Barrel length: 71cm
  • Stock length: 35cm
  • Scope Mosin Nagant PU (S/N: 4402896), probably 4x20 (ocular Ø 21mm) - cross hairs (german) type 1 - side mounting
  • Bayonet lug
  • Front sight with protectors
  • Sighting distance 2000m - Mosin Nagant sights M28/30
  • matching numbers, except magazine floorplate and scope
  • S/N: 388222

I also have my doubts whether this rifle is a legit sniper or not - but my expertize is much too limited. About the seller I can say that I already bought a rifle from him (my long Brazilian M1935) and got the impression that he is an honest businessman. He runs a fairly large auction house and often buys whole large collections from collectors who stop collecting mostly due to their age (it is not so easy to pass live firearms to the wife or children here in Germany, so selling it to an auctioneer in time is often the only way to avoid the guns have to be deactivated or even destroyed after the death of the owner). So there is a chance that he might get his hands on really rare items from time to time.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Glad you were having trouble with an idiotic law. So weird that it does sound...it saved you. This one is a total fake. And an hidious atrocity towards an m/28-30.

There were m/28-30 snipers, the m/28-33 which was a really limited numbers Civil Guard sniper. And there were field arsenal made m/28-30 snipers - according to some sources - but those are practically non-existent. And those were not build on PUs.

This one is a crime against historical firearm.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Pretty sure the Finnish never had a 28/30 sniper rifle. The bolt handle looks weird, and the stock looks refinished. If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't true.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad you were having trouble with an idiotic law. So weird that it does sound...it saved you. This one is a total fake. And an hidious atrocity towards an m/28-30.

There were m/28-30 snipers, the m/28-33 which was a really limited numbers Civil Guard sniper. And there were field arsenal made m/28-30 snipers - according to some sources - but those are practically non-existent. And those were not build on PUs.

This one is a crime against historical firearm.
Thanks for your information. Normally I'm rather cautious and do my homework (especially with such "special" items - but at the moment I'm in Thailand and have no access to my library in Germany) before I buy a rifle and until now this paid off in most cases (okay, one or two fake accessories managed to fool me, but they were cheap). In this case I think the seller did not "produce" this fake sniper by himself but got it as part of a collection. In the moment we have a change of generations with the gun collectors here in Germany and a lot of complete collections or single pieces come to sale which also helps to keep the prices on a decent level for the most part (good for newcomers like me...).

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
That scope didn't start to get produced until 1942..... in the Soviet Union. Gun is a pure fantasy piece. Here is an M33 sniper.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yes total fake,they made them up .Back then they could not import russian rifles so they would use Finn rifle and put the scope and mount on them. Years a go S.O.G sold a ton of Faux fake Finn rifles with PU russian mounts and scopes. The 28-30 was worth more before the scope was added Now it a fake sniper worth $300-350 tops. The 28-30 not messed with would be $500-700ish.Good luck with that. Allso they faked M39's and 91-30 tikki's too.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Since it seems al the "experts " were there when this rifle was made to disclaim it I will refrain my opinion . I have heard from some of my much more learned Finnish friends that individuals had personal M28/30 rifles fitted with telescopic sights but not being there and only a visitor of Finland I will wait for their much more astute answers.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
So geographic proximity makes you more a an "expert"? Please.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Since it seems al the "experts " were there when this rifle was made to disclaim it I will refrain my opinion . I have heard from some of my much more learned Finnish friends that individuals had personal M28/30 rifles fitted with telescopic sights but not being there and only a visitor of Finland I will wait for their much more astute answers.
Are you seriously trying to say this one could be legit? No chance.

Of course the must have been "field job" m/28-30 snipers. Heck, there were field job m/91 snipers and even semi-sporter field jobs like the rather weird m/27-PE. And for example sniper Toivo Maukonen had - according to him - a scoped civil series m/28-30 sniper. But those were really scarce and are non-existent today. And those were not build with PU-scopes as the mount is hardly very good fit with hex-receiver.

And about the individuals scoping their rifles...not very possible even during war time. Strangest things do happen in a war but doing "odd jobs" for Civil Guard and Army property was hardly an act tolerated with a warm hand shake and congratulations.

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
I agree, very odd for personal scopes to be fitted and used. The MN is not an easy rifle to adapt optics to.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Are you seriously trying to say this one could be legit? No chance.

Of course the must have been "field job" m/28-30 snipers. Heck, there were field job m/91 snipers and even semi-sporter field jobs like the rather weird m/27-PE. And for example sniper Toivo Maukonen had - according to him - a scoped civil series m/28-30 sniper. But those were really scarce and are non-existent today. And those were not build with PU-scopes as the mount is hardly very good fit with hex-receiver.

And about the individuals scoping their rifles...not very possible even during war time. Strangest things do happen in a war but doing "odd jobs" for Civil Guard and Army property was hardly an act tolerated with a warm hand shake and congratulations.
I wasn't trying to say that at all ,just waiting for the folks in Finland to give their opinion, and yes Sean when a person comes from the country that the rifle was produced in this case Finland they usually know the history of the weapon and the people who produced them much more than someone who does not come from the region. I have been to Finnish gun shows and have seen many different military mosins with various scopes. Used in war ;that I cant say not having been there. One of my best friends has a mint M28/30 with a PU scope mounted on it that was done and imported from Century arms. He hunts with this rifle every year and I have shot it a few times.I know Century made up M39 rifles with PU scopes imported in the 80's (when my friend bought his) but his is the only example of a M28/30 done by Century I have seen.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have a 91-30 finned rifle that century Scoped with pu mount and scope. When these first came many decades ago they used all types of finn rifles. Century did not care and stamped rifles on the barrel the wrong model numbers ,like a 28-30 being stamped M39 and Ihave a M24 they stamped M91 and a P26 they stamped M91 on the barrel.Your rifle is fake. There was a idiot on Gunbroker trying to pass off a finn 91-30 pu century as a real finn sniper for $3500. Nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Gold Bullet member
11,647 Posts
Don't misinterpret the collective thumbs-down we are giving this rifle. It is not highly collectible, but if any of us found one in a shop for $300, we'd probably still buy it. At the least, I would. It probably shoots really well. Or I'd take the scope and mount off to put toward restoring a legit PU, and have the holes neatly filled and smoothed over on the 28/30. Again, only if it were cheap. The value of the PU mount/scope is dimished by offsetting the decrease in value to the 28/30 by virtue of the non-original modifications.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts