Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Pretty much, it originally came from an estate sale. The guy I got it from thought it was a 91/59. You can color me really happy. It's the first one I've seen for real, other than photos
Bravo, that’s one of the rarest Finnish rifles out there and it sounds like you scored it for less than a grand, congrats! The Soviet coinneeds to be removed from the disc slot IMO, that’s a sacrilege.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,504 Posts
Bravo, that’s one of the rarest Finnish rifles out there and it sounds like you scored it for less than a grand, congrats! The Soviet coinneeds to be removed from the disc slot IMO, that’s a sacrilege.
Agreed; the Soviet coin or medallion is a sacrilege, but, like it or not, it is now part of the the rifle and its history. M27 RV's are too rare to be picky about.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm with you on that Leon. The soviet emblem is an insult to the weapon and the Finns but I'm one to leave things as I get them. If they removed a unit disc for that t
Agreed; the Soviet coin or medallion is a sacrilege, but, like it or not, it is now part of the the rifle and its history. M27 RV's are too rare to be picky about.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If they removed a unit disc for Soviet emblem they should be slapped for ignorance. Now I'm wondering if there is a Finnish unit disc underneath it. Now I'm gun stressed???

·
Gold Bullet member
9,504 Posts
If they removed a unit disc for Soviet emblem they should be slapped for ignorance. Now I'm wondering if there is a Finnish unit disc underneath it. Now I'm gun stressed???
Hard to tell from your pic, but the medallion looks flush with the stock, so it's not likely covering anything. No telling what sort of glue is holding it, and prying it out will damage the surrounding stock wood. It is possible that the original Finnish unit stock disc was removed during the Winter or Continuation Wars. Maybe a Finnish soldier found the coin or medallion and stuck it in there as a joke?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I saw one at an auction in person. Sold for $2800 back in early 2019. I had the money but I didn't make anywhere near what I do now so I passed it up. Lucky you have one. I was happy enough to hold one and have a picture with it.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,190 Posts
Amazing that someone can start a thread about 1943 Izhevsks not selling for $79.95 anymore and there will be three pages of discussion on that riveting subject. Incredible specimen like this shows up and the thread is kaput already. Guess it is easier to complain than it is to learn something.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Amazing that someone can start a thread about 1943 Izhevsks not selling for $79.95 anymore and there will be three pages of discussion on that riveting subject. Incredible specimen like this shows up and the thread is kaput already. Guess it is easier to complain than it is to learn something.
Considering that the OP got it for the price of a 91/59, it is a much better deal than a $80 1943 Izhevsk refurb too! I was hoping other guys had one in their collection to bring out and compare, and talk about these rare rifles.

·
Gold Bullet Member
932 Posts
Maybe members are not familiar with this variant. Mosinnagant.net is no longer up and the books that many of us learned from are no longer in circulation. Times have changed. I guess this is a separate thread.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Maybe members are not familiar with this variant. Mosinnagant.net is no longer up and the books that many of us learned from are no longer in circulation. Times have changed. I guess this is a separate thread.
Times have certainly changed, but we talk about that a lot already. What new info that has been discovered, and the rifles themselves, is what interests me the most. I appreciate guys that show off their firearms, I'll try to do more of that myself, but the 3 Mosin's I brought home last week are not rare like this.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts