Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Diamond Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a photo of a French 25mm AT gun that the Finns got from the French during the Winter War. i don't think they made it in time for the Winter War battles but were used during the Continuation War. This photo was taken in the Sotomuseo in Helsinki

·
Site Contributor
1,267 Posts
Here is a photo of a French 25mm AT gun that the Finns got from the French during the Winter War. i don't think they made it in time for the Winter War battles but were used during the Continuation War. This photo was taken in the Sotomuseo in Helsinki
That gun didn't saw use in Winter War because it is 25 PstK/34 (25 mm antitank-gun model 1934). Finland bought50 French 25-mm M/37 antitank guns during Winter War, but only 40 of them were delivered in February of 1940 through Norway. The remaining ten guns were captured by the Germans when they invaded Norway in spring of 1940 and it seems that the Germans kept them. About half of the 40 guns, which had arrived during Winter War saw frontline service during this war and three of them were lost in battle.

During Interim Peace (the time between Winter War and Continuation War) the Germans offered Finland another 200 French 25-mm antitank guns that they had captured earlier. This shipment arrived from Germany 10th of December of 1940 in S/S Hohenhörn and included 133 antitank-guns M/34 and 67 antitank guns M/37.

When Continuation War begun Finnish Army issued large number of 25-mm guns to frontline troops, but soon weak armour penetration of these guns made them outdated, so withdrawing them from frontline use started already early 1942. The last ones were withdrawn from frontline use in year 1943.

More info in my website:
http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/AT_GUNS1.htm#25PstK34

Jarkko

1 - 3 of 3 Posts