Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an SVT recently and these six 15 round boxes of Finnish 7.62x54r ammo came along with it. Theyre all marked "VPT 44" and are a bit dirty. Ive never owned Finnish 7.62x54r ammo before so I dont know if its collectable or not. If it is collectable, how much does it go for per round? Id appreciate any and all help!

·
Registered
706 Posts
In boxes may be of interest to finn collector, the stuff I had in the 70's didn't go off well. I think interarms bought it in. Reloaded bullets into norma cases. Survived this long in boxes, try to sell them as is.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Sell to collectors. Probably .308 sized bullets so accuracy would probably be lousy in a SVT40 anyhow.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sell to collectors. Probably .308 sized bullets so accuracy would probably be lousy in a SVT40 anyhow.
Finnish Army ammo, made during the war, why would it be .308 diameter???? This ammo is war era A-235 type with all Finnish components. The S-284 bullet is flat base 167 grain bullet with gilding metal clad soft steel jacket. With a powder developed and manufactured during the war for this type of ammo, I suspect the powder is not good anymore.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Powder may be bad, but primers were dead and dying 30+ years ago. May have collector interest but only shooter use is as components.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Powder may be bad, but primers were dead and dying 30+ years ago. May have collector interest but only shooter use is as components.
I wouldn't bother reloading steel jacket bullets. The cases are Berdan primed, war time production... maybe usable once, if the primers work. I'd believe the primers are not that bad, I have shot war time ammo, even some 1930s ammo.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,466 Posts
Not much at all. Really too common for cartridge collectors. You might get someone interested in Finland or Finnish rifles to buy a representative box, but the condition of the boxes won't get much excitement.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Not much value, as others said primers are most likely sour.
Plus side is 6 boxes just enough to fill two Finn ammo pouches for display.

With price of SVT40s these days would not shoot any old surplus ammo in them. Only quality, later date stuff.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I have had really bad luck with that ammo now for years. The primers went bad and you are lucky to get a click bang out of it now and then.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Made by lapua before they were lapua. Kinda interesting, but other than that, sounds like not much else.
Maybe pull the bullets to reload? That is what I would do with them, sounds like they are not good for much else.
Taken from wikipedia:
VPT Valtion Patruunatehdas ("State Ammunition Factory") (1923 - 1949) - Lapua, Finland. The forerunner to Lapua. In 1949 it was absorbed by Valmet and renamed LAPUA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts