Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had this Finnish 44 VKT M39 out for a while, and look forward to every time I get to shoot her. I am in awe of it's fit/finish/2 stage trigger & accuracy. We had a snow/ice storm, and there is no better time for bringing history back to life, than shooting an M39 with snow on the ground. :) I find this PPU 182gr fmj ammo to be trustworthy to say the least. However, this M39 loves Wolf and Brown Bear 203 gr sp. and 174gr fmj Brown Bear, too.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,488 Posts
My 44 VKT also likes PPU 182 gr FMJBT. I have a BadAce NDT scope mount on mine, and it helped me shoot the Prvi ammo MOA out to 300 yards - the maximum I can go on my club's range.

Scroll down to post #11 for 200 and 300 yd results.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Nice one! The stock wood looks strange... maybe it has some suspicious heritage around the end of the war (Nov 1944)? That time all good pre-war furniture birch should have been expended. The splice looks correct, though. An "armorer's special", maybe? Does it have SA mark?

·
Gold Bullet member
9,488 Posts
Nice one! The stock wood looks strange... maybe it has some suspicious heritage around the end of the war (Nov 1944)? That time all good pre-war furniture birch should have been expended. The splice looks correct, though. An "armorer's special", maybe? Does it have SA mark?
Referring to the OP's or my M39?
My 44 VKT M39 is in a post-war stock with square-tipped tenons.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I’m certainly no expert on the matter, but that grain structure reminds me of the elm stocks sometimes seen on Swedish Mausers. I’ve never heard of that being used on any Finnish rifle, though.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
She is SA marked. The stock is post war with square fingers with some of the prettiest grain I've seen. My quess is that since the action, bluing, and bore are like new, that it was put into a post war stock to be sold/sent to the USA. The stock isn't likely original because its not arsenal stamped. Its possible the original stock was damaged during War and replaced, but I doubt it bc the bore/action are like new. Oh the mystery of the mixmasters. With all due respect of course.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the stock. I have a few M39s in post-war stock that have that grain and are much lighter than the pre-war stocks. Here's an example - my No Date, No Maker M39.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.