Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned this rifle for the last ten years or so and yesterday while cleaning it, on the left, forward part of the receiver, next to the upper hand guard was an SA in a box. There are what looks to be three letters or numbers stamped in the top of the butt plate, Finn? It is matching except for the cleaning rod and is rather unusual because has an Elm stock and is equipped with A Faldt sight. I purchased the rifle from Ellison as a Swedish marksman. The rifle shoots remarkably well.
Would any one have any history of the rifle?
Thanks,

Bill

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
Neutral Sweden supplied the Finns with M96s during the Winter War when the Russians were attemping to overrun them. Sweden would not enter the war but did help with the weapon shortage. They wanted a buffer between themselfs and Russia. I have a SA M96 also and it is one of my favorites due to the little extra bit of history.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can take some photoss with no problem. I may have a problem getting them posted. I'll give it a shot this afternoon.
I am not able to make out the characters on the butt plate, Foreign language I suspect.

·
Registered
950 Posts
"Sweden would not enter the war but did help with the weapon shortage"

Actually there were also Swede troops as well... this was covered in another thread..

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
"Actually there were also Swede troops as well... this was covered in another thread.. "

I started to include that a lot of Swedes did fight for Finland but as volunteers. It is my understanding that Sweden did not enter the war but had no problem letting their countrymen cross the border and fight. If I'm wrong I need to re-read "The Winter War"

·
Gold Bullet member
11,320 Posts
Some Swedish volunteer groups did serve, although I think they arrived somewhat late in the Winter War. However, some did see action. I believe it was about two battalion's worth, IIRC.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi, there was 8260 Swedish soldiers i Finland during "Finska vinterkriget" and Sweden also have 12 fighter planes in Finland but they using Finish markings on the wings.

Nisse

·
Silver Bullet member
2,085 Posts
A swedish membeer who will remain unnamed

told me a few years back that his uncle who was a Swedish vounteer was killed by a grenade during the winter war.
gil

·
Copper Bullet member
449 Posts
Swedes and Finland

Did not the Swedes assist the White Finns in the Independence War also? Several years ago someone posted a picture of Swede troops waiting at a snowy rail road station for transport to Finland. The long M96 rifles were clearly shown laying on their packsacks.

Anyway, here is a poster that should be with every Finned marked Swede rifle.

Frank

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
Did not the Swedes assist the White Finns in the Independence War also? Several years ago someone posted a picture of Swede troops waiting at a snowy rail road station for transport to Finland. The long M96 rifles were clearly shown laying on their packsacks.

Anyway, here is a poster that should be with every Finned marked Swede rifle.

Frank[/QUOTE

Great poster.....Translation please?

·
Registered
950 Posts
The Swede were there during the Finnish civil war, the Winter War and the Continuation War. Here are some Swede troops in what is claimed to be a photo of a Swedish Volunteer Company in Finland in 1944.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Theres a whole Swedish speaking district inside Finland.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After attending photography 101, I managed to get some photos of the rifle. I don't seem to be able to post them. Can some one give me a tutorial or post them for me if I were to send them via E-Mail?
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi fellows I aaaaaaaaaaam back finally. To Sean there is no Sweadih speaking district
in Finland only some areas on coast wher Swedish is main language.
To Frank Finnish cause is yours.
To Don you are right, the first patch came here january -40.
Bones you are also right the Swedes took responsibility of part of front line 27th of february
and war ended 14th of margh.
To Nisse slight different numbers
SFK 8042 men other units 420 and Norweighians serving SFK 693.
KIA 33 wounded 185 there were 140 frost bites included in that.
We can`t forget volunteers from new continent as USA and Canada. There were about 30
fellows in action led by Reserve officer an American emiggrant too, those were volunteers
which got some action during Winter War. I think the first American which was killed in
WW2 happened here in Finland. RIP those fellows.
ther were also Danish and fellows from other countries but Mr. Mannerheim didn`t want to
send them to front lines with out proper training, skiing etc that would have been murder
in his mind, well he was right how anybody think survive in 3 feet of snow without skiing.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
jorma,

Thanks for correcting me. But I know I've seen somewhere that there was a Swedish speaking district in Finland. I hate it when I reference bad information.. grrrrrr:mad:

On a lighter note, Glad to see you here again. Welcome back!:D

·
Silver Bullet member
1,082 Posts
seabee's pictures

I am posting some of the pictures seabee sent me of his Finn marked M96. The butt plate picture is a bit blurry. We might get him to try to take a clearer one. But here are the pics. Nice rifle by the way.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks Dutchnan and Sean, sure ther must have been Swedishspeaking district but not
any more, so the info is not totally wrong but little bit old.
rgds jorma

1 - 20 of 28 Posts