Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a '36 Tula 91/30 in Finnish furniture in a shop today. Barrel, bolt, and floorplate all matched (last 4 serial numbers were stamped on the bolt body). Metal sling swivels. This is the weird part - the front site was an M91 style site, not a 91/30 globe site. Barrel length was correct for a 91/30 (as compared to other 91/30's on the rack). How did this arrangement come about, and was it common?

·
Diamond Member
5,626 Posts
Petrov, they changed out the front sights on some of the rifles. I don't know what pecentages were changed or kept as original globed. They same would apply to the stocks as sometimes the original were kept, and sometimes they were discarded. Hope this helps, Denny

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
The stacked blade was typically used by the Finns on Tikka M91/30s, but occasionally you find them with the Soviet post and globe. Finnish captured/purchased M91/30s typically still have the post and globe, but occasionally you find them with the stacked blade. Just a wild guess on my part is maybe a 90%/10% split each way. USMCsean may have some hard figures for the Tikka M91/30s.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,082 Posts
I have had about 30 of the SA marked rifles come and go. So far in my experience it has been about 1 in 4 have the stacked blade front sight. Not uncommon.

·
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I'll have to see if I can get back there before next weekend (they're closed Sundays). I think the gun was $150, which isn't bad for the SF Bay Area for a 91/30 that's mostly matching and in good overall condition. They also have an interesting (but pricey) non-milsurp Swiss Martini action long gun that I posted about on the Swiss forum.

·
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took a look at it again. The blade is not "stacked". The top of the post is "sliced" to the left, and the site base has an "M" in a circle. I decided to pass on it because of other priorites right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts