Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's been awhile since a new gun post but I just bought this Mosin Nagant from a member here. I really did not think I needed another Mosin but this old girl is just right! All stamped matching and Tula star marked all over the place.

The cleaning rod is not correct and I have just discovered that it fits my M39. Now all I need is a nice war time M39 stock, but that's another story.

This is the first one I have bought that the barrel bands and retainers look like they are brass. Before I attempt to clean it did they make them out of brass?

Oh well here are the photos for you Finnish Mosin fans.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Interesting bands coloration

Cool rifle! That was the first thing I thought about the bands when I saw them was "brass".

Maybe it was stored in an Armory basement next to the cleaning supplies and the ammonia in the air discolored the metal........... Cheeesch, I haven't a clue and I'm sorta into metals. Best thing you could do is the "magnet" check. If they are brass a magnet will show no attraction.

Draybo (scratching his head on this one!)

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made a small scratch on one of the bands and it is metal. It is the coating on the whole stock that has made it look like brass.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,134 Posts
Nice Finn-marked Tula, congrats! :D

Next time...have your kid do the white crayon for you! ;)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Dude, the chalk is a bit heavy. At first, I thought it was snow. A Mosin in the snow would be a nice picture, as long as I can stay nice and warm.

Nice Mosin.

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry about the heavy chalk! All I could find was one well used side walk chalk and it was crumbling apart as I used it! Darn kids and their hiding the good stuff!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Very nice rifle!!! :D Love the cartouche on the stock. :D

·
Gold Bullet member
11,673 Posts
Great rifle. Is the bolt original matching too? Otherwise, you have an all-original rifle (with possible exception of the bolt), and that alone makes it uber-cool. I would love to find one of these all-original examples.

Yep, that's a coat of hardened cosmo giving the brass color. I used to try to clean that off, but now I kind of like it. It's as hard as chicken-lips, and it protects the metal.

·
Silver Bullet member
181 Posts
Since the rifle was Finnish issue, that cleaning rod may be exactly what they outfitted it with when it went through the armory.

I have a 1936 Ishevsk 91/30 with the pot-belly stock, "41" and "D" stamps that came from the importer with an M39 style cleaning rod, in the white. I believe that Vic or Tuco has stated sometime in the past that the rods weren't dedicated to the Model 39 rifles, but were used anytime a new rod was needed.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,189 Posts
Since the rifle was Finnish issue, that cleaning rod may be exactly what they outfitted it with when it went through the armory.

I have a 1936 Ishevsk 91/30 with the pot-belly stock, "41" and "D" stamps that came from the importer with an M39 style cleaning rod, in the white. I believe that Vic or Tuco has stated sometime in the past that the rods weren't dedicated to the Model 39 rifles, but were used anytime a new rod was needed.

I think a Finn cleaning rod for a 91/30 will be longer than a Finn cleaning rod for a M39.

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dang

I didn't photo the bolt number just the cute little star! I shall fix this soon! And yes the bolt matches with no other numbers present.

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok more photos!

Bolt photo

1937 Tula cartouche

Area of finish removed from retainer

Enjoy

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Nice find. I think you can find a correct Tula marked cleaning rod easily. I'm also looking for a 91/30 that doesn't have a single part swapped...

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ouch!

Is it time to dig out my Mosin cache and sell? Now it really has been awhile for my Mosin lust but the Russians did not serial number the receiver like the Finns did, or did they?

Other then my sniper 91/30 and the Finn capture's, I didn't think the others (Russian) are serial numbered on the left side of the receiver like this auction one.

Still that's a chunk of cash for a Mosin!

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are the cleaning rods for this year Tula marked?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts