Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope its alright to do this...

There's a bit of a debate going on right now on another gun forum about the price of a Finn Model 28. Its descibed as VG wood and bore. I'm posting the link to the pics of this rifle. What do the experts think (I know this is based on very few details) - is it worth the asking price of $695 CDN? (about the same in USD.)

http://www.collectorssource.com/item.asp?recid=4224

Apparently these are very rare in Canada. What about the USA?

Thanks for your replies.

· Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks to all that replied. This particular Model 28 is still available for sale up here in the Great White North. I'm leaning towards purchasing it since I have never seen a Model 28 for sale up here before. Not saying that they never were but I've never seen one. Will make an offer and see what happens.

Like Vic said it does come down to supply and demand. I'm not sure what the demand is for a Model 28 here but definitely you Americans have us beat on supply. The nearest large city to where I live is about 800 miles away. Not many gun shows and shops here or nearby, and most gun shops here don't have milsurps for sale just new and used hunting rifles.

Sure now and then milsurps show up and they are at the local gun shows but most Mosins arre overpriced, poor condition Soviet ones. At a recent show a dealer was trying to sell a bubba'd mismatched M39 for $600 CDN - I passed. However I purchased a '41 straight stock Sako M39, Finn matching and unrefurbished, for $325 CDN, a '98 Tula M91 with Finnish, Imperial and Czech markings for $295 CDN and a all matching M27 for $225 CDN. First two from dealers and last from a dealer brokered estate sale. My most expensive Mosin is an all matching M24 Lotta for $550 CDN from a private individual - it came with the original sling and the correct muzzle protector so I think I did all right even though it $200 or so more than the others.

Never tried to buy guns at a pawn shop up here - not sure if legal for the pawn shops to sell guns and probably too much hassle.

Mostly I, and I think quite a few Canadian milsurp collectors, either buy online from legit Canadian dealers or from private individuals. Its better in certain parts of Canada as the population is more concentrated with more towns and more shops and shows. Like your eastern seaboard. Forget importing from the USA - import broker fees mean either you have deep pockets or else it has to be a heck of a deal. I tried to buy 9 mm Browning Long ammo from Samco and gun parts from other suppliers. No ammo period and gun parts depends upon your State Department restrictions. No lie - several years ago I tried to import a No Gunsmithing Required Mosin Rear Sight scope adapter from Brownels and was told it was export prohibited by the DOS. Brownels shipped my order for Wolff springs but withheld the scope adapter. Just as well - saved me from doing a bubba on a laminated Soviet M91/30 before I knew what I had.

But supply and demand theory goes out of whack with the SVT40. In the USA you are paying $600 to $1500 USD for what we pay for $400 to $700 CDN. My refurb SVT40 cost me $425 a few years ago. I missed out on a SA marked one for $399 last year. Repro Soviet snipers go for $700 to $800. I missed out on a put together PEM scoped M39 sniper for $900 last year - scope was alleged to be authentic. Remington and NEW Mosins go from a low of $175 to $300 depending on condition and knowledge of seller/desire of buyer.

As to the Chinese M14 clone ie the Norinco M305 - they go for $400 to $600 CDN. I have one - its was worth the money ($399.99) as the receiver is well built. Many use them as a basis for building a DMR or a Crazy Horse clone. Or make them into a shorty - I believe the Springfield SOCOM is either too expensive or unavailable here by Canadian import restrictions or US export prohibition. My ARMS 18 mount cost me half as much as my M305 did.

A fellow in Ontario runs clinics across the country on upgrading them with USGI parts (bolt, op rod, piston and spring, trigger group, rear sight). Cheap chinese stock are replaced with Boyt walnut, fiberglass or custom stocks like Magpul, AKM, SAGE or Troy. I purchased a used Breda manufactured M1 trigger group for my M305.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.