Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
once again i turn to those here on the boards that know much more than i do, but i have some questions about my m39..some of this may be common knowledge to most of you but one learns by asking so here goes..i have a 44 dated vkt m39 i got it from wholsale and it was the unnissued version..it came in a new post war stock..blueing is 100% and a brand new shiney bore(and i do mean perfect in all aspects)i took it out this last weekend and was once again impressed by the way it shoots,when i got it home i took it apart for cleaning and i noticed some makings and numbers i dont know the meaning of.the ser number is 6371x and the bolt is marked to match that number,the butt plate has a number on it that does not match and looks to be in some old type script,it has an un numberd floor plate on the mag.the receiver is dot matrix numberd to match whats on the barrel and bolt,(importer?) when taken apart i noticed an old style script T on the left side of the reciever and what appears to be an A on the right side.also there are another set of numbers..both the barrel and the reciever are marked with the number 1298 on the underside.i also found what appers to be the letter H but the cross bar of the H turns into what looks like an arrow on the outside left hand side of the H,right above the number 1298 is a very very small number 3,the only other marking i saw was a 36 followed by a diamond with the letters vkt inside it followed by 00 can anyone tell me anything about all these marking,,such as who made the reciever?,,why 2 sets of numbers?...whats the H/arrow marking as i also found it on the bolt ?i am aware the finns used parts from anywhere when putting these together i just wonderd what if any info someone may be able to give me..thanks in advance

·
Administrator
19,280 Posts
The 36<vkt>00 is the pressure proof. 1298 is the assembly number of the barrel to receiver. Buttplate could be from anywhere. If its a two digit number with fancy serifs right in the middle of the buttplate its probably a reuse from a 28 or 28/30 who numbered the buttplate like that for rack ID..

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any idea as to who may have made the reciever?..i looked on the underside of the tang but dont see any marking there.and thanks for this info

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
New England Westinghouse did not date receivers or mark the tangs specifically. You can generally find a letter with an arrow somewhere on the receivers though which tells you it's NEW. All NEW production was from 1915 to 1918 so it would be in that time frame. All NEW barrels are dated 1915 regardless.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes ok that makes sense then as all i found was that h type arrow letter on the rec...and the same type marking on the bolt...so in your opinion it would have been made between 1915/1918?and thanks again for your infomative replys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts