Gunboards Forums banner

Finn M38

3K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Sgt LaBelle 
#1 ·
After an uneventfull gunshow saturday, my friend and I drive over to a gun shop he knows about. Sitting in the rack is a kind of dark and uesd looking M 38. I pick it up and give it a quick look and just pass. Over the next hour My friend and I keep looking this over when all of a sudden out pops an SA stamp. (The shop has pore lighting) Trying to keep my best poker face I decide to take it and when I'm doing the paper the dealer is looking it over for the serial number. I point out that the SN is on the barrel because the Russians didn't stamp it on the reciever. He looks it over ans psots the SA and says "It's a Finnish one"
I take a deep berath and say" Oh Ya?"
I finnish the paper work, pass the back ground check (Of Course) pay the $100.00 price tag
and say "I'll be back, see ya later" and we split.
M 38, 1941 Izhevsk, Not matching, No import marks, Very good bore, 50% blue, all early features, early stock? (no thumb nail cuts by the rear band) no cracks, but handguard
looks like a replacement.

#3 ·
That is a steal! Don't tease us with meager details... Where are the pics!!!

#7 ·
Actually it looks like a rather nice one-

#8 ·
It does look nice. Look even better in my safe where it could round out and complete my M38 collection. :)

#9 ·
I lost some of my first post. The stock looks like it may have got the pine tar treatment.
There is some still on the bottom of the butt. I haven't pulled the action yet, but I took the handguard off to look for an import stamp. Didn't find one. Does anybody know why it does not have the thumb nail cuts by the rear band?
Some times I think my camera makes things look a little better than they realy are.
It's real fussy about the lighting and angles. I can do a much better pic in real sun light.

Sgt LaBelle

"March or Die"

#10 · (Edited)
Looks like the same type of stock I just found, screwed front SSEs and no SSEs on the rear. http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=7008

Does your receiver have tang steps? This would be made right at the transition.

Does anybody know why it does not have the thumb nail cuts by the rear band? This seems to be a feature that came and went during wartime production. Nothing surprises me about Mosins.

Seriously excellent deal. Congrats!

#13 ·
Laughing like crazy at USMCsean's line under his name (and his profile picture).

#21 ·
"Laughing like crazy at USMCsean's line under his name (and his profile picture)."

Gulp.....Swing smack.....hhhome run!........USMCsean has been Hoffed as well!!!

LOL...

Somethin squirrelly going on round hear....Pahtu.

Maybe you should laugh at the 2X I have been warned for foul language on the new board so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.