Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
loading the mag. is not aproblem ,pushing the bolt forward the cartridge rim engages both sides of the inside of receiver, preventing forward movement .with mag. housing removed and placed next to my 91/30 for comparison, the m27 right side of receiver appears to protrude inward 1-2 mm.no idea how this damage may have happened.it will chamber if it slammed hard leaving along indentation on the brass. so how and should i remove metal ? any thoughts or ideas ? gun is in very good condition otherwise.regards paul.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
Need clear, close-up Pics (Macro setting) . Don't start grinding yet!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
problem fixed ,after much observation of the problem area -walls of receiver, the area below the interupter appeared to tight for rims to feed , and after acouple hits with a brass punch and a hammer in that area, bobs your uncle feeds perfectly, what a relief no expensive smithing needed. just careful pondering. thanks guys.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,497 Posts
problem fixed ,after much observation of the problem area -walls of receiver, the area below the interupter appeared to tight for rims to feed , and after acouple hits with a brass punch and a hammer in that area, bobs your uncle feeds perfectly, what a relief no expensive smithing needed. just careful pondering. thanks guys.
I assume the problem area -walls of receiver, the area below the interrupter refers to the walls of the magazine rather than the receiver itself?

If so, more than likely someone clamped the magazine a bit too tightly in a vise at some time.

Since you have a 91/30 you can compare the M27 magazine to the MN's and look for a shim in the M27's magazine at the front. This was an early attempt at an anti-jam improvement. Of course, it only works with cartridges of a specific OAL.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
under the interrupter,left side, inside of the receiver there is approx. 1/4 inch. of metal to the top of mag.this is the area which received the brass punch workout.1/8 punch bent & flattened to good effect, outcome is it works, and i,m left with apile mn parts. which will be handy some day.m27. s/n 45066 tikka. 1931, winged bolt, typical finn stock. oh, it does not have the shim in mag. counterbored.rest of bore like new, to the range next week.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,497 Posts
under the interrupter,left side, inside of the receiver there is approx. 1/4 inch. of metal to the top of mag.this is the area which received the brass punch workout.1/8 punch bent & flattened to good effect, outcome is it works, and i,m left with apile mn parts. which will be handy some day.m27. s/n 45066 tikka. 1931, winged bolt, typical finn stock. oh, it does not have the shim in mag. counterbored.rest of bore like new, to the range next week.
Happy shooting! My counterbored "F" chambered 1928 M27 seems to enjoy Prvi Partizan 150 gr FMJ.

I'm still not sure what part you are talking about. I don't see how pounding on a carbon steel receiver with a brass punch would have much effect.

In my M27 the interrupter extends below the receiver into a notch cut into the magazine well. It is not unknown for the interrupter to bind in the magazine's notch. I don't see how pounding on a carbon steel receiver with a brass punch would have much effect.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, it was the area below the interrupter notch and, I also was thinking that a soft metal (brass) against steel would not have much effect but, it did.I, have no idea of the history of this weapon, except it has a 1915 tula receiver.also the left side of the dog ears of the forsight is also slightly bent inwards same side as the other damage.other than the sa. mark I,m not aware that the finns used a refurb mark if any work was done if damage was repaired,whatya think. will be using albanian surplus at the range.gun is marked F &D seeya.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,497 Posts
yes, it was the area below the interrupter notch and, I also was thinking that a soft metal (brass) against steel would not have much effect but, it did.I, have no idea of the history of this weapon, except it has a 1915 tula receiver.also the left side of the dog ears of the forsight is also slightly bent inwards same side as the other damage.other than the sa. mark I,m not aware that the finns used a refurb mark if any work was done if damage was repaired,whatya think. will be using albanian surplus at the range.gun is marked F &D seeya.
The sheet metal magazine housing was distorted; that is a lot easier to understand.

Your rifle may have been subjected to battle damage, or maybe just stored in a heap and pressed on one side. If the wood on the left side shows no gouging or scarring, the stock may have been replaced. I am not aware of Finnish arsenal overhaul markings, as for example, one encounters with SMLE's or Swiss rifles.

The "D" mark indicates that the barrel was rechambered at some point.

Does your M27 have the unique sear + trigger assembly? The M27 sear has the trigger pivoted directly in it rather than in the receiver. I have done little stoning of the sear and cocking piece contact surfaces and now have a superb trigger. Some people find the rather long and heavy 1st stage pull of the M27 objectionable, but it is easy to get used to.

I assume you know how to deal with corrosive ammunition. My M27 has plenty of rifling remaining, but there is some roughness and pitting inside the bore, so I limit my M27's diet to noncorrosive ammo.

Happy shooting, and I recommend posting your range results and other reports or questions on the Mosin Nagant Collector's forum where more cognoscenti are available to answer your questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.