Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1929 m27 rifle I picked up years back. I have been mostly shooting my refurbs but decided to take this one out. Have a question though. This one has the F mark on it, not the D mark seen on most Finns. Is this one safe to shoot w/ the Russian and Bulgarian surplus?? Or do I have to use 308 bullets in this rifle. Thanks in advance.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,930 Posts
It should be. Just be gentle closing the bolt on the first round or two to see if there is too much resistance.

1929 you say? Wanna trade that for a 1928? :) That one requires pics.

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
It will be fine. The "F" designation was used to mark rifles that were capable of firing the "F" cartridge, which utilized a shallower incline angle.

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,991 Posts
the "D" was added to these rifles later when the throat was enlarged for the D-166 round, which had a larger ogive (the bullet was fatter towards the tip). if the bolt will close easily on a round, it should be safe to shoot. if the chamber is too tight, the bullet can jam into the leade before the bolt is completely closed, and if you jam it in too tight, it can pull the bullet when you open the bolt.
1929 is a good year to find. haven't looked at the numbers lately, but IIRC the records show 85 rifles being made that year?? I may be off on the number and I think the consensus is that more were made than records show, but still a hard to find year. Some guys collect by year/maker and again, IIRC, the 3 hardest to find years of m27 are 1927, 1936, and 1929.

FWIW, I've shot military surplus ammo through "F" marked m27's without problem, too. y'all have a good day, Keith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.