Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread recently on a Finn captured M38 that went over $2,000 on gunboards and I realize that was a bidding war gone wrong but it got me thinking... that rifle was a 1939, so are most of the M38s with the SA stamp from that period?

I think I spotted a 1943 M38 with the SA stamp and I am wondering if that is as uncommon as I think it is? Come to think of it, I don't think I have seen many 1942 or 1943 91/30s with an SA stamp.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
I vant vun...I vant vun...(quote from "Supertroopers")...

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
The D stamp looks a little small? Is that a partial refurb box that I see? But maybe I'm just seeing things. The stock looks thinned, as it appears sanded pretty hard. Also, should not be import marked if it is a Finn Capture.

Oh, well. If a hands on examination pans out, I am authorizing your wife to give you the money to buy that one. If it is indeed [SA] stamped and not import marked, it is a rarer than rare piece.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
One will rarely see a 1939 Dated Finned M38, almost as uncommon a 1940 Dated SA M38 - Most SA M38s are dated 1941....

1943....? Unseen by me till today.....:)

Pahtu.

Brian shoots!!...

...He scores!!!...GOAL!!!...GOAL!!!...GOAL!!!...

·
Gold Bullet member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The D stamp looks a little small? Is that a partial refurb box that I see? But maybe I'm just seeing things. The stock looks thinned, as it appears sanded pretty hard. Also, should not be import marked if it is a Finn Capture.

Oh, well. If a hands on examination pans out, I am authorizing your wife to give you the money to buy that one. If it is indeed [SA] stamped and not import marked, it is a rarer than rare piece.
All good questions Martin, I wish I had the answer before I bought it but I went ahead and hit when the opportunity presented itself. I spent 10 minutes on the phone with the auction guy and had him describe everything as well as he could, he didn't know Mosins but he answered all of my questions. He described the D as "elongated". He couldn't explain what the mark is above the date, that's the only one that disturbs me. I was glad to see it is a real M38 stock, and it seems to be correct with the reinforced front slot. If I made a mistake I am really not in it that far, so it was worth the gamble :)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
Is it possible that it could be a capture/recapture?...

...THAT would increase it's value a bit, yes?...

·
Diamond Member
777 Posts
Great carbine, my friend!! It does look like the stock has been touched by Bubba, but it's still a fantastic find. I'm wondering if the mystery mark may be a partial "D" that was lightly struck. I have a couple of Finnish rifles with a larger than normal "D" in various points around the top of the barrel shank. Make sure to post some pics when you get it as I need to live vicariously through your purchases as I'm staying out of the game for a while to replenish my gun fund.

Congrats!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Watched that one for a couple of weeks.Thought it might slip under the radar.Dropped out just over 200.00 only because of the stock issues and already having an example. Any one catch the 1940 nonimport marked on gunbroker? Interesting dog collars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.