Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reference book I was reading noted that when the Russians introduced their "D" cartridge the Finns enlarged the chambers of their rifles to fire it and identified the rifles that had been modified with a "D" on the barrel. I assume that by enlarging the chamber the author meant that the area of the chamber was enlarged where the neck of the cartridge would be was enlarged to take the new, larger diameter bullet. However, it seems that the bores of the rifles remained closer to .30 caliber. Certainly my M39 has a bore pretty close to .308. So, did the Finns also include a "forcing cone" or some other device to "squeeze" the larger round to size? Wasn't/isn't there a chance for excessive pressure if they didn't? Lastly, would there have been some accuracy degradation in "Squeezing" the bullet. (I'm new to this rifle. Give me a couple months with it - and decent ammo and weather - and I hope to find out about accuracy on my own. Right now all I can say is that there seems to be potential there.)

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
The "D" cartridge is the Finnish D166 and the throat was enlarged to accept this bullet which has a bigger ogive, not a larger diameter. Because the D166 bullet is larger than the Soviet bullet the rifles could also shoot captured ammo. The work on the guns was prompted by changes in Finnish ammo and the mark is based on their cartridge, not the Soviets.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ogives?

The "D" cartridge is the Finnish D166 and the throat was enlarged to accept this bullet which has a bigger ogive, not a larger diameter. Because the D166 bullet is larger than the Soviet bullet the rifles could also shoot captured ammo. The work on the guns was prompted by changes in Finnish ammo and the mark is based on their cartridge, not the Soviets.[/quote]

7.62x54r, Forgive my ignorance, but this brings up something I've never been able to figure out for sure and because of it, I've never shot any of my [SA]-marked rifles.

Can I feed just any old 7.62x54r ammunition I can find through all of my Mosins or do I need to be careful about what I use for safety reasons?

If I can feed them all the same thing......paramedic school ends next month so I will finally have time to go to the range again and I'll definitely be shooting the Finn rifles.

I like that word "ogive". I had to look up the definition (used Wikipedia) and I still haven't figured out exactly how it is measured. I'm not sure how a larger ogive would look compared to the original one.

Thanks,
Annie

·
Banned
10,843 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Think of a bullet, base to tip: the ogive on a D166 is closer to the tip than other bullets (it's a heavier slug, so the ogive is moved forward to accomodate additional weight). The ogive is the part of the bullet that first contacts the rifling on the way down the bore.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can feed all the Russian Imperial and all the Soviet rifles with Light Ball (148 Gr.).
You can feed all the Soviet rifles with Heavy Ball.

The Finns are more complicated.
Actually I have/had Annie Oakley concern. My Finn m39 has a bore diameter that's pretty close to .308. I wanted to make sure it's safe to shoot the Russian in it, and an interest in the effect on accuracy and barrel wear. So I take it I can shoot Russian Light ball, but stay away from the Russian Heavy.

Now if I can tame the M-44. Especially if I have any of that Russian Heavy Ball

1 - 9 of 9 Posts