Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALCON -

I am pretty "light" on my Finn history AFA the Winter War and Continuation War are concerned.

However, I am interested in learning more - it truly is a fascinating and under-represented area of 20th century history.

My specific Q today is about some of the captured or otherwise purchased weaponry that the Finns used during the 1939-44 time frame.

Besides the current/recent batches of Finn-employed Lugers that have cropped up with varieties of SA/etc stampings, are there any expected or likely future sales of different sidearms or rifles?

Specifically, were there many Finn rearsenaled Kar98k's or P-38's used? I realize that the Germans may not have made many transfers of such equipment due to various factors, just thought I'd ask.

And before I forget to ask - while we have certainly seen plenty of "Russian Capture" Kar98k's and iterations of Mauser carbines come up for sale, as well as mix-master P-38's, does anyone think secret stashes of mixed-part Walther PP's/PPk's/ Sauer 38H's etc will ever come around? Actually, I doubt it myself, just thought I'd ask other's thoughts while I was on this tangent.

I remember the laments people had regarding the G-43's/K-43's that are certainly out there in R/C-land, but apparently unobtanium here in the US.

Thanks, everybody!

Adam

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,462 Posts
Adam- Part of the armistice with the Soviets called for the Finns to turn over all German Equipment.I belive some of the G-33/40s that came in during the 1960's may have been from Finland-Marked "Germany" on their floorplates.Check out Mosinnagant.net and 7.62X54R.net for more info.The Finnish lugers and FN-35's were imported by The Crossroads GUnshop in 1985-87 or so.Back to the German stuff-From the 3 volume book set of Finish Weapons-from what I read is that the The Finns had this stuff piled up and were waiting for some kind of answer from the Russians on what to do with it all-I rember seeing old collector friends for mine with Nice 8.8 Panzershrek's with nice SA mark painted on shield or tube.Clearly they were not turned in to the russians.Vic,Tuco and the Finnish members will have a better answer than this-just my.02 I sure wish more Surplus would come in from Finland!!

·
Site Contributor
1,341 Posts
ALCON -
Besides the current/recent batches of Finn-employed Lugers that have cropped up with varieties of SA/etc stampings, are there any expected or likely future sales of different sidearms or rifles?

Specifically, were there many Finn rearsenaled Kar98k's or P-38's used? I realize that the Germans may not have made many transfers of such equipment due to various factors, just thought I'd ask.
Finnish military has no World War 2 era weapons in use anymore - they all all gone and replaced with more modern designs. Hence there are not much surplus coming anymore from that era anymore. Finding either K98k or P-38, which would have seen Finnish use is basically impossible. Finnish Army had only 600 Mauser K98k (bought 1943 - 1944 for firing rifle grenades, so they arrived with rifle grenade equipment) and those were scrapped already in year 1945. As for P-38 in Finnish use, none were ever bought for Finnish military. A mere handful (less than a dozen it seems) appeared to Finnish Army inventory during WW2 among other mixed weaponry. Few dozen P-1 were bought for use of Finnish UN troops in 1960's, but these were never included officially into inventory of Finnish military.

Jarkko

·
Site Contributor
1,341 Posts
Adam- Part of the armistice with the Soviets called for the Finns to turn over all German Equipment.I belive some of the G-33/40s that came in during the 1960's may have been from Finland-Marked "Germany" on their floorplates.
´

Not quite. Finnish - Soviet armistice treaty signed in September of 1944 demanded among other things for the Finns to expel German troops from Finland within (impossibly short) time limit and all German property in Finland to be handed over to the Soviets (this included not only property owned by German state, but also property owned by German citizens in Finland). However this didn't include weapons that Finland had bought from Germany, since they were no longer from legal viewpoint German property. Instead this included all weaponry and other equipment that Finnish troops captured from the Germans during Lapland War (September 1944 - April 1945). As I have mentioned a few times in forum before, Germany didn't donate materials - it sold them, so Finnish Army could keep them materials it had bought from Germany.

You may have mixed up this with another matter in that same treaty. That same armistice treaty limited (peacetime) size of Finnish Armed Forces to 42,000 men and there was considerable uncertainty if Finnish military would be allowed to maintain more weaponry than what was needed for them. Ultimately around year 1952 the Soviets decided to let the Finns to keep all their old weaponry (which was coming old-fashioned but which was plentiful enought to arm several hundred thousand men). The situation had changed from year 1944 - due to "treaty of friendship, co-operation and mutual assistance" signed year 1948 Finland could now become an military ally and obviously disarming potential allies was not exactly the smartest thing.

IMHO is is highly unlikely that any real number of those G-33/40 would have been from Finland - the Soviets were extremely demanding when it came to handing over captured German equipment - even materials that was complete junk like destroyed German trucks had to be typically delivered to Soviet Union.

As for equipment used by Finnish Army during World War 2, one starting point could be my website:
http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/

Jarkko

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.