Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited Peleliu in 1999 with 2 former Marine officers who served in the same Company (E-2-1). In 1999 I sat on the invasion beach drinking a beer (or two) and listened as both veterans recalled the famous Japanese tank attack that hit their Company on D-day. Most of the Japanese tanks were destroyed on the airfield but both related their recollections of a tank that crashed through their lines before bogging down in a swamp. The tank was quickly "neutralized" by a grenade down the turret hatch. A bazooka man gave it the "coup de grace" and the tank exploded and burned all night showering flaming wreckage, ammo, and debri on the stalled and dug-in Marines. Fast forward 55 years...Since we were on the exact beach that the vets landed on, I asked how far into the mangroves and off the beach they were when the tank attack struck. I then asked if they were up for looking for the tank. After a 15 min. walk I found it! Overgrown and settled in the mud, I spent an hour hacking the underbrush away. First thing I found was a Nambu clip! I'm sure the deceased crew was still inside but I never dug around the hatch to look.

-Eric

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,010 Posts
Can we get a kick ass group rate for a trip over there? Damn - I'd love tro see this stuff!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts