Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
She's a beauty. Metal is 5/5, stock is 5/5. I've heard high praises from about HVA produced guns and how they had a higher standard of quality - I was, therefore, a little disappointed when I inspected the wood to metal fit a bit more closely - there are significant gaps between the receiver and the stock. That's wartime production though, right?

Wood Sleeve Automotive exterior Tool Knife
Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Air gun Wood Trigger

Wood Hardwood Natural material Denim Electric blue
Hand Sleeve Rectangle Wood Gadget
Wood Hardwood Varnish Wood stain Bumper
Brown Wood Wood stain Shotgun Hardwood
Gun accessory Wood Everyday carry Metal Fashion accessory

Wood Sleeve Orange Grey Denim
Automotive lighting Bumper Wood Shotgun Vehicle door
Wood Trigger Shotgun Air gun Gun accessory

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,594 Posts
I do not see anything wrong with your rifle . The EP'ED bolt sleeve and cocking piece were numbered sometime after manufacture . The bore size was 6.50 when the disc was marked and #1 bore condition .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not see anything wrong with your rifle . The EP'ED bolt sleeve and cocking piece were numbered sometime after manufacture . The bore size was 6.50 when the disc was marked and #1 bore condition .

Swede, I've seen the EP'd cooking peice and shroud on a lot of HVA M38s. Do you know why this was done after they left the factory?

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,594 Posts
Nothing in writing ??????????? I suspect the arsenals upgraded the unnumbered parts on the bolt to conform with Swedish military standards . Why that did not apply during manufacture , is unknown ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, it appears this one has an out of spec trigger. It releases on the first stage, sometimes.

The likelihood of this happening appears to be correlated to the number of rounds in the mag.

It looks like the sear has a tiny chamfer on the bottom edge. It's just enough that sometimes, when the sear is unable to pull the bolt down slightly (from the pressure of the rounds pushing up on the bolt), it slips past.

I'd be fine with it if it did it every time. It's a bit of a problem for me when sometimes the trigger is a one stage and sometimes a two stage

·
Gold Bullet member
9,164 Posts
I suggest you buy another trigger . Sear or cocking piece may be a problem as well . Not an expensive fix . Take it apart & see if someone has tampered with the original parts . Usually grinding off the 1st stage hump ?
+1. My first HVA M38 had been "improved" by bubba and the trigger was single stage. I replaced the trigger.
Test: cock the bolt and press down on the cocking piece with your thumb as you release the trigger. If this restores 2-stage trigger action, then replacing the cocking piece may be the fix. Over energetic reshaping of the sear lug on the cocking piece can cause this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
+1. My first HVA M38 had been "improved" by bubba and the trigger was single stage. I replaced the trigger.
Test: cock the bolt and press down on the cocking piece with your thumb as you release the trigger. If this restores 2-stage trigger action, then replacing the cocking piece may be the fix. Over energetic reshaping of the sear lug on the cocking piece can cause this.
Since making the post above I've cleaned the bolt - there was still a significant amount of old cosmoline in there. Oiled and reinstalled the bolt and the issue has disappeared - for now, at least.

I did your test before cleaning the bolt and it did restore 2 stage functionality.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I see looking the gun has the spotty and wishy washy blue which is typical to many HVAs......IMHO,the finish was marked by something done in a rebuild ......As to the HVAs ,they do have considerably harder steel used ,and consequently of higher yield and more resistant to wear....I base this opinion on having drilled a few for scope mounts,etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts