Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well yesterday after many years of looking and wondering how the hell I was going to pay for a Manuhrin MR-73 revolver I finally got one. It's in 357 magnum and has a four inch barrel with adjustable sights.

The previous owner was a shooter (he passed a way a few months ago from Cancer) and there is holster wear to the finish, but it's a beautifully made revolver. Very high quality with a truly amazing action.All the research I've done states that the MR-73 is a hellishly strong revolver. Even stronger than the Ruger revolvers. Evidently it takes twelve days of handfitting at the factory before an MR-73 or it's smaller caliber siblings (32 caliber and 22LR) are shipped from the factory.

The blueing is so deep it's black in appearance. The cylinder and crane are designed to be removed with just the simple loosening of a screw. Which is nice for cleaning purposes. All in all it's a well thought out and handsomely made revolver.

It's one of the Mulhouse specimens and has the top screw on the side plate. The manual is in English and I believe the date of 04/87 is printed on it.

Evidently the one I got (in it's current conditon) lists at $1,500 in the Blue Book. Brand new (if you can find one in the U.S.A.) would sell for somewhere in the range of $2,500.

Well this is Southwestern Idaho not Texas, or one of those other states populated by wealthy gunowners. So it was priced at $900. Which is still pretty pricey for my area. It's been in my neighborhood gunstore for approximately six months and I'm pretty sure that I was the only guy who was consistently eyeballing it. I guess the price tag and the fact that it's French drove people away. In this case the prejudice towards all things French is silly. It's a great revolver but many folks have never heard of Manurhin.

Yesterday the gunshop owner said that since the owner had passed away it was now his and he wanted it to move. Which meant trade. So I traded a couple S&W .357 magnum revolvers (686+P w/4" bl & a S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman w/6" barrel) and a Winchester Model 12 shotgun (12gauge).

I didn't pay anything and the shop owner is happy. His inventory has been gutted by the recent gun buying frenzy in the United States and he would rather have several lower priced handguns that he knows will move instead of one fancy French handgun that will keep taking up space in his display cabinet for many more months.

I can always get another S&W revolver.

So there you go. I go to the range Monday. The one in the photo has a three inch barrel but beside that it's an exact replica of mine to include the rubber grips. Think I'll buy the wooden grips from Numrich. I like to have a selection available.But I'll do my shooting with the rubber grips.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
M 73

In all the searching for French guns, I have never seen one of those fine revolvers......

Dale

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In all the searching for French guns, I have never seen one of those fine revolvers......

Dale
Yeah same here. I still remember my surprise when I saw the MR-73 sitting on the counter in my local gunstore in my little corner of the world. There is a Cabelas in Boise (some twenty miles away) and I wouldn't be terribly startled if I saw an MR-73 in the Gun Library. For example the Boise store currently has a Westley Ricahrds shotgun and a Holland & Holland shotgun for sale.

But my hangout is just a little hole in the wall that also sells used cars. I'm not kidding. Colt, S&W, Ruger, Winchester,Remington,Browning and Taurus . Those are the makers that you find there not Manurhin.

Guess the stars were just lined up in my favor. Figured you guys on the French Board would appreciate my find. I can usually be found on the British Board so don't tell anybody. I feel sort of like a traitor to Old Blighty. But those French girls. Wow!

·
Registered
62 Posts
You got a great deal. I have been paying up to 800 Euros for these revolvers on Egun.de. With import and export fees and shipping costs, you would do well to get one delivered stateside for $1,500.

I am missing a 5¼" model.

·
Registered
62 Posts
For parts do you have to order directly from Chapuis Armes?
You have to call them during business hours, or go through one of their importers. I understand that Victorian Arms dba/Parabellum Imports in Australia is a certified Chapuis dealer doing their own import and export, and offering armorer and gunsmith services for Manurhin revolvers, and willing to export to the US. No American company imports these guns or parts for them. I am hoping to change that.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have yet to ever see one locally and I do fear I may never own an example. My Manurhin PPK/s will have to do for now!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello to all Manurhin wonderers,
I am an exclusive North America Importer of the Manurhin 73, this gun will be available new from the factory Located in France sometime in March, I will have them posted for sale on all websites like Gunbroker and Gun International, the Manurhin will come in all 3 choices of barrel 3, 4 and 5 1/4, and caliber 32 ACP and 38/357. My website will be up in the next few weeks, save it and check it out, and pass the word. www.manurhinhadguns.com meanwhile if you would like more info, please send me an email [email protected]
Thank you
Sayeret Matkal LLC, FFL Dealer and Importer

·
Silver Bullet member
738 Posts
I have my 73. Bought it 20 years ago when a small shipment of French surplus came in. I was and still am deeply impressed by it. I have tried to acquire wood grips for it. No luck even with the help of the fine staff on this board. Thanks, Gary

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
A lucky find, and excellent pictures. I have read (forget where of course) that this revolver is a modification of the Ruger Security Six. C'est vrai?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
A lucky find, and excellent pictures. I have read (forget where of course) that this revolver is a modification of the Ruger Security Six. C'est vrai?
The MR 73 line was (and still is) a pure French product, from the design board to the manufacturing process.

It's the MR88 that is a cross breed between Ruger and Manurhin, the French national police wanted to buy a large quantity of revolver, but budget couldn't meet Manurhin costs, and Manurhin contacted Ruger already selling .223 carbines (Ruger AMD 5.56) to the French riot police who needed a wooden stock weapon for its clubbing capacity.
Manurhin bought a patent from Ruger to make cheaper frames, and the MR 88 was born, with a Ruger like frame mated to Manurhin barrel and cylinder.

kelt

·
Registered
62 Posts
The MR 73 line was (and still is) a pure French product, from the design board to the manufacturing process.
The MR73 is patterned after the S&W "Hand Ejector" action with major revisions to the beefed up cylinder stop that measures about 20% thicker than that of an N-frame, the reconfigured and strengthened yoke, and the rebound slide separately tensioned and suspended on rollers
Manurhin bought a patent from Ruger to make cheaper frames, and the MR 88 was born, with a Ruger like frame mated to Manurhin barrel and cylinder.
Actually, the MR88 frame uses Ruger's investment casting technology, but differs in having a sideplate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have my 73. Bought it 20 years ago when a small shipment of French surplus came in. I was and still am deeply impressed by it. I have tried to acquire wood grips for it. No luck even with the help of the fine staff on this board. Thanks, Gary
Hi Gary, Found these at Numrich - would these be any good to you?

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=1048730&chrSuperSKU=&MC=&CatID=10508&mySort=1

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=1049090&chrSuperSKU=&MC=&CatID=10508&mySort=1

·
Gold Bullet member
2,598 Posts
A little OT..I know the US public doesnt like foreign movies, well you should try to get a french picture called MR73, an extraordinary crime thriller movie-

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
A little OT..I know the US public doesnt like foreign movies, well you should try to get a french picture called MR73, an extraordinary crime thriller movie-
Likewise 36 Quai des Orfèvres by the same director.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts