Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I bought a timer. It's been an education and a lot of fun. I wasn't shooting nearly as fast as I thought I was.

I've been shooting 38 J Frame S&W and 45ACP Kimbers, with and without lasers, and timing shot strings and individual shots. I throw out the whole target if a shot is out of a 4x6 inch center or a 6.5 inch COM. In other words the accuracy is either 100% or Zero.

Breaking a (accurate) shot a second has been a barrier that I haven't been able to get passed.

A couple days ago I got out my worst shape Makarov and a Don Hume holster and started drawing and shooting.

After a little shooting I got faster with the Mak and surprised myself.

I didn't have my camera, so I didn't get a picture of the target but here's what the old Mak did.

7 yards distance.
Hands held up and draw from the holster.
First shot DA, then emptied the magazine SA.
Extreme spread of the eight rounds was 5 3/8 inches.

1st shot= 2.08 seconds.
2nd= .64
3rd= .56
4th=. 51
5th= .46
6th= .48
7th= .41
8th= .40

Total= 8 shots in 5.54 seconds.

Maybe that's not that great, but better than I've been able to do with my other guns.

·
Gold Bullet member
549 Posts
And with a dusty ole Mak :D As they say in RI, "Go figure !"

regards....roger

·
Administrator
7,257 Posts
Sounds great to me! Although the 2 seconds to initial shot could potentially be the longest 2 seconds you've ever experienced, the ability to keep the string on target is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I've got some work to do on that time from the holster.

I'd sure hate to get in a shootout with one of the old West gunfighters.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Maybe that's not that great, but better than I've been able to do with my other guns.
Did you hold your breath or what? A garden variety Mak or one that's had its trigger worked on?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
"Did you hold your breath or what?"

Yes, the first target is rapid fire in one breath.
---------------------------------

"A garden variety Mak or one that's had its trigger worked on?"

All my Maks are stock mechanically, except I don't know about the chrome one. I haven't shot it and probably won't.
Although I like owning and shooting guns I don't especially like to work on them. Heck, I don't even like cleaning them.
----------------------------------

When shooting single shots, like the second target, I have the timer set for 5 seconds between shots to allow myself plenty of time to lower the hammer and reholster the gun.

Today I got the draw/shoot time down to 1.2-1.7 seconds most of the time but the accuracy is too bad.
Using the white body of the target as COM (about 6.5 inches square) I got a round or two out about every ten shots.
I was using the Mak with the (ten shot) 22 conversion.

Fun shooting.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes, the first target is rapid fire in one breath.
The reason I asked was a brief discussion I saw on the P-64 gun board about how to control your breathing for the best accuracy. Shoot during exhaling or after exhaling, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been shooting so long I don't much pay attention to how I'm breathing.
Generally I'll take a breath, exhale a little and hold it.

Using the timer I automatically stop breathing when the "fire" buzzer sounds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"We knew we should fear the Eastern Bloc, but we did'nt know the real reason why."

When I first saw the Makarov I wasn't especially impressed.
Probably one of the most surprising things about them is the accuracy of the inexpensive small military pistol.

I like shooting it at 100 yards.

·
Registered
192 Posts
"We knew we should fear the Eastern Bloc, but we did'nt know the real reason why."

When I first saw the Makarov I wasn't especially impressed.
Probably one of the most surprising things about them is the accuracy of the inexpensive small military pistol.

I like shooting it at 100 yards.
That is some good shooting for a small auto pistol Mak or not!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I will be thinking of this post when I watch the Colts whoop up on the Panthers tomorrow. I will picture you shooting from goal line to goal line. :D Good shooting!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts