Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping this is the right forum...if not, please move. I have always had an interest in .22 military trainers of all types, and this may have put me over the edge to start looking harder. Local gun show 2 weeks ago, saw this and thought it looked pretty good for the money. I had not done any homework on this particular rifle, but thought it looked good enough to take a chance. Gave $465 and went home to do a little research; found that I had an original military 513-T Matchmaster, all parkerized, U.S. property marked on both receiver and barrel. Stock has not been sanded and no finish has been applied of any kind. Then it got better...date code with the low serial number says it was made in Jan. of 1942.

Fast forward to this past weekend, and with 60 degree temps, it needed to be shot. I had never used this type of target sight before, and my first 5-shot group at 50 Yds. was easily under 1/2 MOA. That did turn out to be the best group of the afternoon, but 1" groups at 50 were the norm. I couldn't be more pleased.
Wall Brick
Gun Rifle Firearm Air gun Trigger
Wood Metal
Material property Metal Wood Pipe
Shotgun
I wanted to share a good experience, and ask for opinions and comments of any kind.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chukmak,

Thanks for the idea on the other .22 forum...when I first looked at it, I thought it was only for Lee-Enfields. Will attempt a cross-post.

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
Yes very cool fine. Does it have the Flaming bomb stamped anywhere on it? Unfortunately your second set of pictures did not come through

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NRA,

No flaming bomb anywhere...would that signify a specific military use of some type?

Not sure why the second set of pics did that, they show up to me as an attachment I can click on and then they show up. Odd.

Thanks!

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
Nice gun. The Winchesters are kinda pricey and nice to have. I have several Mossberg trainers, they are affordable, and would love to see a summation of US 22 trainer numbers. Anybody know of one on the net?

We used Mossberg 22 trainers in Boy Scout camp and I loved it. They hooked me, even more than I already was. Making a ragged hole was what I expected and often got. I continue to get a ragged hole at 25 yds and pretty nice groups at 100 yds.

·
Registered
851 Posts
When I was a Boy Scout in Detroit (early 1960s), our Troop had an N.R.A. Affiliate 'Junior Club'. Our rifles, on loan from the D.C.M. (now C.M.P.), were Parkerized - 'U.S. Property', Remington 513s.

We shot at the Detroit Artillery Armory and loved those Remington rifles. They were capable of delivering 'possibles', with 'bulk' .22 LR ammo (50 cents a box of 50), a canvas G.I. sling, and an old mattress 'shooting mat' on the 50 foot indoor range!

I have a standard - commercial 513 that I bought at a LGS about 15 years ago. It performs well at the Sportsmen's Club 50 and 100 yard out-door range. Lots of cheap fun with stock ammo - Great Rifles & Memories!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Eastbank, can't open your attachments...mine did the same thing until I went to "edit post", "manage attachments", and then had to drag the pics down to the lower box. I'd like to see what you have.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
SWEET! I love those .22LR trainers. Grew up shooting my brother's Mossberg 44US. Finally found a real nice one last year for $600. About 95-98% original, clean bore and no rust anywhere.

View attachment 1908025 View attachment 1908033

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Eastbank, that is a sweet ride. LOVE the scope set-up, and would like to think my groups would shrink with a tube like that. Thanks for sharin'.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bought a 513-T made in '62 that saw it's better days. I paid $250 for it. Someone cut it down. Barrel cut to 19", front of stock cut off. I reworked the stock into a mannlicher but the bull barrel was still too heavy for a mtn. rifle. I then turned the barrel down to 5/8" from the 11/16" it originally was. Since the barrel channel was now too big, I sent the stock along with a nice piece of wood to my duplicator guy and will restock it when it comes back. Soon I hope. I got rid of the Tasco with Weaver mounts and put on a Redfield SR base and rings with a 2X7 wideview with a dot reticle. I like messing with guns that have been messed with. Gary

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.