Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that may not visit the main collector forum please note that I posted some sample pages from a book that collectors of Japanese arms and militaria may enjoy:

More here: Fighting Men Of World War II Axis Forces: Uniforms...

·
Gold Bullet member
11,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Reactions: CopperniX

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice presentation with clear color pictures but unfortunately a lot of misinformation and even downright fakes presented as genuine period items. The author of this work should feel ashamed for the appalling amount of misinformation they're responsible for spreading. The conclusions they draw are outright ridiculous, Sakura helmets are for navy paratroopers? Labelling a training photo as action in Manchuria? Type 90 helmet introduced in 1938? Seriously?! I'm sure many members on this forum could have written something far better. I will say however that the SNLF section, although still very wrong, got far more details right than Gary Nila's Osprey title on the subject.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was well aware of the book’s limitations and I debated with myself over whether it was worth the effort it would take in presenting it to the forum. In the end I consider it to be a worthwhile addition to my library because I enjoyed looking at the photos. I believe that other collectors will as well.

In my original posting on the Collector’s Forum I offered the sample pages with the following caveats:

“Like any "coffee table" style book, the information is basic, and not always perfect, but the photos are of good, if not spectacular, quality.”

I believe that I accurately and realistically set the bar low enough that no one should expect this coffee table book to be a “collector grade” treatise on the subjects covered.

Reactions: Bruce Pennington

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't want to start any arguments and I appreciate you sharing the pictures of inside the book, but the mindset of errors being okay for certain formats is extremely counterproductive to understanding history. I myself have written a heavily illustrated book and let me assure you I would never let that format be an excuse for me to not to my research! When misinformation permeates every page of a book and it is indisputably clear the author has made no effort in confirming the information they write of, it is inexcusable. If an author said the M35 Stahlhelm was introduced in 1942 or used a photo of a Waffenrock as an example of an M36 Service Tunic nobody would let it slide, but somehow this mindset of allowing ridiculous errors for the most basic details of Japanese military equipment still pervades communities to this day. If anything these illustrated books that are not very information heavy should be held to higher standards, as they are quite attractive and will usually sell better than academic works, thus presenting considerable influence to many readers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's a shame that there seems to be many errors in the pages shown, are there other illustrated style books like these worth looking at?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts