Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, all. I'm a nooby, not sure that I'm in the right place.

Just purchased and received a Persian 98/29 from Samco. Looks great, needs thorough cleaning everywhere! Need help with tips on disassembly. Note that screws holding swivels have been peened. What method should be used to remove screws? Any other tips would be welcome. Feel free to direct responses to my email if necessary.

dickE
[email protected]

·
Gold Bullet member
749 Posts
I'm not familiar with your particular Mauser, but the disassembly of the stock , action and so on should be pretty straight forward, one part at a time and the bolt should be similar to K98
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A_-FnDhmAc
One tip on removing the screws : use the biggest screwdriver that fits in the slot of the screw. It is very easy to scratch or even strip them.
Pinned parts usually take little tapping. Get a set of punches that are consistent in thickness for at leas 1 inch rather than the cone shaped ones and have a flat end.
Perhaps you should post a picture of the part in question.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If the barrel bands can be loosened sufficiently to remove them (sliding forward off the wood), it should not be necessary to remove the sling swivel screws. After you get the bands off the rifle, just dip the assembly in your cleaning solvent & wipe off the grease.

To remove the barrel bands, you'll have to depress the flat springs that hold them in place. If they are tight, possibly due to grease underneath, use wood blocks on both sides of the forend and squeeze the spring with a vise or a c-clamp. That way you won't mar the forend wood. While the spring is depressed, use a wood stick to push (mallet or hammer may be needed) the barrel band forward off the wood

You can look up an exploded view of a Mauser to get an idea of disassembly--the Numrich website has one, I think. As noted above, you want to use hollow-ground screwdriver blades or bits intended for gun screws that fit the screw slots as closely as possible.

The flat springs that hold the barrel bands in place (I expect on that model there are two separate springs) have a pin that extends sideways through the forend. If you want to clean grease out of the recess where the spring fits, you'll need to punch it out from the left side of the rifle. There's usually a hole visible on the left side opposite the end of the spring where the pin is located, but that hole can be hard to see at times.

If screws seem really tight, use KRoil or other good penetrating oil and let the screw sit for a few hours or till the next day. Mausers are not super difficult to dismantle but at times they can take awhile.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.