Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this .243 in a 1900 action rifle today. The designations are a bit murky, but I am thinking since the finish is oil and the floor plate is not engraved, this is a 9000? The crest is one I haven't seen in person before. 95% plus gun, just some minor handling marks. Appears to have been hardly shot. Trigger is very light and crisp. Fit and finish is as good as I have seen on any rifle, action works smooth like glass.

·
Silver Bullet member
52,973 Posts
Grade 2 I think..
9000 was dropped .
When ..Gustaf took over, ....standard grade, then grade two.....rest in books you can search out!
Yours is a transition model..having both makers names FFV importer....
Had a few with different transitional marks...it was the deal to ease out Husqvarna with Gustaf capitalizing on the old companies repartition....
Till they became know to carry on the quality ...
I the future these gun will be. Historically significantly important to collectors.....
Just not know, not enough data on or numbers...
You paid....? My guess $ 675. + or - 25 bucks!;)

And engraved model...un fired deluxe....3006 with blonde French walnut....

I have grade two. Like yours 308 set triggers, Pecar with Zeiss lenses 6x 42..fixed power....a tack driver...

·
Copper Bullet member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mr. Phillips.

Grade 2 instead of 9000, OK. Got it.

Could you clarify on the transitional marks? Is the crest a transitional version? Is the Gustav on the grip cap transitional?

Your guess on the money is very good, but it came with a redfield scope and a harris bipod which I will liquidate to make myself feel like I got a better deal. I don't like that TV view type scopes, TV is the last thing I want to be reminded of when hunting or shooting and more importantly the optics are only good, not great. And I already have a harris bipod, who needs 2?

So in the end it will seem like a heck of a deal considering the quality and finish on this gun. Can't wait to shoot it. I need to reboot my .243 reloading gear. I haven't had a .243 in several years and I think everything has been traded off.

Thanks for your knowledge.

·
Silver Bullet member
52,973 Posts
Transitional markings....a SIMPLE rule of thumb is...
If it's a Carl Gustaf ...and has any other names beside that on the gun it's during the change over...I would have to get out my research for all the mixes found on receivers ......
But your is the early one having Husqvarna still on a 1900 with the new company's receiver symbol on ring, stock cap, and billings NY address on barrel and FFV importer mixed on the receiver ....

For me I think it's the cream of the crop ....I have had all the grades except the swede with snoabble....
I even had a few new in the box....
One interesting thing I found out was the hand checkering on my grade 3 was the same guy as on a standard grade I also owned and a less than hundred off in serial numbers......
I sold the standard grade because it was a 270.....
Being poor in those days not using urned money from pay days in the 1980's....to buy guns....trading fixing up other brands to by swedes....
And I consolidated Cals to keep the expenses lower....3006, 300 mag, 308.......reloading ....buying ammo on sell...

Yes the good old days when these Guns were new and money was tight and had value...

Trading wits...got my collection..4 safes over full !
a $75 first buy..investment...after that trading up!

Good find ...my fried...

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
eagleye,

Beautiful rifle!!

I had that one on my Gunbroker watch list, but didn't get back to it until the auction ended. I sent the seller a note and he said it was sold locally. You're very lucky! I ended up winning a similar rifle - Grade II, FFV 1900 action, 243 win., but not as nice as yours and at a slightly higher price. Mine is earlier than yours and I don't think it says Carl Gustaf on it anywhere. I'll report the other features like the receiver crest when it arrives.

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's funny, I had your rifle on my watch list too. Let's go with the "great minds think alike" theory for now. Your rifle looks beautiful. We will have to compare and share load data.

·
Silver Bullet member
52,973 Posts
NW swede from your pictures yours is a later PURE husky imported by the same FFV.....
Low production numbers of these 1900 actioned guns ....before they sold out to Carl Gustaf....
My 300 Winchester mag I shot a three shot group off bench in silhouette in heart..225 yards covered by my pointing finger...I had a friend sign off....my other friend...refused....
Jim said it wasn't dead center chest hit...I said he's dead I put them all in his heart.....
Jim been dead about 5 years now....miss him a lot...

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
DK Phillips,

Are you saying that if the rifle doesn't say Carl Gustaf on it, then it was made by Husqvarna, even if it's marked FFV?

Just got mine yesterday, and it's nicer than I expected. The receiver crest is the FFV logo, the grip cap is unmarked, and the butt plate has the Husqvarna logo.

I noticed that the barrel roll stamps are different: Mine is stamped on top: "FFV Sports, Inc., New York, NY - U.S.A." and Eagleye's is stamped on the left side: "FFV Sports, Inc., Billings, NY - U.S.A."

Any idea when the change was made from New York to Billings? Based on the serial numbers, Eagleye's rifle was made about 8000 rifles after mine.

Not meaning to hijack the post, just thought it was related information.

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet. Hijack welcome. Interesting transition. also I notice you have the poly finish, mine is the oil, maybe just an option difference not a transitional change. Sometimes when the weather is crappy, a poly finish is pretty much required so that nice.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Eagleye,

Yes, it has a shiny finish, but it's not a very thick coat, so I'm not sure if it's original, or someone put a little Tru-Oil on it. It's not thick like a heavy polyurethane finish. I really like the look of yours. I guess I need a later Carl Gustaf 1900 now... ;)

·
Silver Bullet member
52,973 Posts
Yours has the receiver crest of Carl Gustaf ....even though no name sake written...makes it CG action

a) stock from another Husquvarnia 1900 because no whelm pistol grip swell..may be?

Action With the added Gustaf 1900 labeled on receiver ring.
Making it an even earlier transitional model:

CG was using up the stocks, parts, connecting their trade mark to Husky labeled parts combined MANY DIFFERENT WAYS TILL THEY DISCONNECTED FROM THE NEED TO CONNECT TRADE MARKS / QUALITY ..which was part of the buy out deal also.... Once read they had 10 years to change
.(..one sentence in a mag. never repeated or confirmed .in another source...)

B).stamping blank unfinished receiver ring with new factory trademark..
Combined trade marks with left receiver writing.....

... All this with out handling it...I

Not A) my reasoning finding new stocks difficult if not impossible but the writings trade mark solid transition marks...
(I had two 1900s new CG's take offs, from a Dr restocking to his long arm lengths... Just sold a grade 2 last year...
I have had one LATE 8transitional models a grade 1 270 and grade 2 engraved 3006 ..all CG...
both marked different, both new in box...both checkered by same worker ....plastic seal hand tag...close in serial numbers....

All without my notes in front of me or holding your gun....best I can do...

·
Copper Bullet member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are correct, they are push feed, I will load up a couple pics of the bolt later tonight. Man the action glides!, they have a little extra nub on the lug to help with alignment. The action seems to be manufactured to very tight tolerances. DK Phillips has been touting that these are built to match specs and at this point I'm a believer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Transitional markings....a SIMPLE rule of thumb is...
If it's a Carl Gustaf ...and has any other names beside that on the gun it's during the change over...I would have to get out my research for all the mixes found on receivers ......
But your is the early one having Husqvarna still on a 1900 with the new company's receiver symbol on ring, stock cap, and billings NY address on barrel and FFV importer mixed on the receiver ....

For me I think it's the cream of the crop ....I have had all the grades except the swede with snoabble.......
Is this a photo of the schnobble you speak of....;)
Bottom of the two..

·
Silver Bullet member
52,973 Posts
Bottom yes..spelled many ways...and some wrong..
Slicker than a krag...cramming lugs...with a anti binding slot and grove combination that's so prestigious in its design ...it's never been topped all these years later..
With vault like lock ups...
bolts will interchange to no head space problems to worry about...I HAVE READ, DID try ..(BUT NOT FIRED WITH LIVE AMMO)...disclaimer ...safety first ...
Three shot Accuracy of a target rifle in a sporter configuration....
Best low carbon steel, hammer forged to perfection...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Beautiful rifles - congratulations.

I have a variety of Husqvarna 1900s and it has been quite a ride trying to figure out the method to the madness of mixing
parts. I am taking about thirty to Tulsa next month - quite a variety of all of those imported. If you happen to be at Tulsa
feel free to stop by and look at the different combinations.

Regarding what my friend DK said about the bolts - it is correct that the bolts are the same length with the same lockup.
However, there are three different bolt face sizes - small (.222 Rem, .223 Rem - very rare), standard (25-06 - rare, 270 Win,
308 Win, 30-06) and the magnum (7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag - was a special order, heard about one that
was imported but never got to see it). So don't make the mistake of trying to use a magnum bolt with a standard caliber since
you would have the potential of gas blowback if the case splits at the base. A side note - all of the actions are the same
length - when an action was set up for a shorter cartridge like 308 there was a change in the mag box with a spacer.

If you get a chance to buy any spare parts be sure to do so. There is no commercial source that we are aware of that still has any.
I know that Jack First in Rapid City has action screws because they made some for me. The action screws have a very unique angle
on the threads and the head of the screw which helps keep them tight. If you lose an action screw don't try to substitute anything
else - it will bugger up the threads in the action. When I was at Jack First before I had the screws made, the folks there spent a
couple of hours with me trying to match up screws from other manufacturers but no luck. We got close with some Sako screws but were
still not correct.

One other thing, you should always watch for used 1900 stocks. Again there are none available from commercial sources. So pay
attention at gun shows and on the net for any of these items. If you run into any parts for a Zoli rifle (Italian), a lot of the parts
will fit the 1900. The first rifles that Zoli made were a copy of the Husqvarna 1900 but about a year into production they made
some changes to the bolt and trigger assembly.

Enough of my rabbit trails. If you get to Tulsa look for us. I don't have the table numbers yet but we are confirmed (which means
they took our money). If you have never been to Tulsa you are in for an amazing experience - 4800 tables in one 11 acre building.

Have great day!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts