Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ask me about my 390 lbs mother in law.
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling a gun to another member. It is not an 003 type transfer. I know I need to send it to his FFL dealer. Question is do I need to have another 01 FFL send the rifle to his 01 FFL, or can I send it myself. I don't have an 01 FFL. There was a thread here a couple weeks ago. Guess I wasn't paying attention. Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
No, you don't. However, some 01 FFL holders will insist on it.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Radom is correct that you don't. A lot of dealers are finally coming around and accepting transfers from 03 holders. Have him ask his 01 if he will accept a transfer from an 03 if the answer is no have him find another 01.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
Radom is correct that you don't. A lot of dealers are finally coming around and accepting transfers from 03 holders. Have him ask his 01 if he will accept a transfer from an 03 if the answer is no have him find another 01.

If it's not a C&R firearm then the fact that you have an 03FFL is irrelevant and you shouldn't send a copy to the 01FFL.

State and local laws may vary and require that it be sent by an 01FFL. If so, I'd make the buyer pay any fees incurred.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You don't need any kind of paperwork to SEND a rifle to someone.
The buyer needs to provide you with somebody's 01 and you must send it to the address on the 01, that's it, period...
A point of clarification here... A non-licensee is not required and does not need a copy of the recipient's FFL. They only need to confirm that they are sending the gun to an FFL. This can be done with the FFL number of the recipient and the BATF EX Check. In fact, many licensees will not send a copy of their FFL to a non-licensee. Furthermore, if the firearm is travelling intrastate (i.e., from a seller in a particular state to a buyer in the same state) no federal law requires that it be sent to a licensee. In other words, as a Virginia resident, I can send a firearm directly to another resident of Virginia (provided, of course, that person is not a prohibited person.) However, some states' laws require that a licensee be involved in one or both ends of a transaction.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
Furthermore, if the firearm is travelling intrastate (i.e., from a seller in a particular state to a buyer in the same state) no federal law requires that it be sent to a licensee. In other words, as a Virginia resident, I can send a firearm directly to another resident of Virginia (provided, of course, that person is not a prohibited person.) However, some states' laws require that a licensee be involved in one or both ends of a transaction.
Even under federal law that only applies to long guns. Hand guns must still go through FFLs even intrastate.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
If it's not a C&R firearm then the fact that you have an 03FFL is irrelevant and you shouldn't send a copy to the 01FFL.

State and local laws may vary and require that it be sent by an 01FFL. If so, I'd make the buyer pay any fees incurred.
Ted, I got carried away and forgot that we were discussing a non C&R firearm.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
I figured that. To be honest with you I don't know if the firearm in question is an 03 or not. He just says the transfer isn't. You can certainly transfer 03 firearms through an 01FFL. I do it all the time. Mine also gets irritated with people that don't send him enough info for his bound book. In the past it almost cost me the privilege of having him receive transfers from non-FFL holders.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Even under federal law that only applies to long guns. Hand guns must still go through FFLs even intrastate.
Sorry Ted, but that is not correct. There is no requirement under federal law that an FFL needs to be involved in an intrastate handgun transfer. The transferor can ship it or deliver it to the transferee directly. As staed above, however, some states requie an FFL for ahandgun transfer. (IIRC, Kalifornia is one such state.)

·
Ask me about my 390 lbs mother in law.
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The gun in question is not covered by an 03. It is a commercial hunting rifle.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
Sorry Ted, but that is not correct. There is no requirement under federal law that an FFL needs to be involved in an intrastate handgun transfer. The transferor can ship it or deliver it to the transferee directly. As staed above, however, some states requie an FFL for ahandgun transfer. (IIRC, Kalifornia is one such state.)
I looked it up and stand corrected. I never intended to say that handguns could not be transferred in person intrastate without an FFL involved, only that they couldn't be shipped. I was wrong on that also though, handguns can be shipped intrastate between non-FFL holders, but must go common carrier rather than US Mail just as interstate handguns, other than 01FFL to 01FFL and certain rare instances involving gov't agents. As always, state and local law may vary, just as you said.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts