Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience feeding their Sten with 124 grain flat points? I have an opportunity to purchase some for a decent price, but don't want to end up with a definite no-go. I realize they still may not feed, but if there's some success out their in the field I'm willing to take a chance.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I have found that different sub guns have different appetites. Some will feed and function with a type of ammo and another gun just like it will become a "jam-o-matic". The only way to really tell is to try some in your particular gun.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Mine shoots any ball ammo I've ever used. The rate of fire will drop if I use the real cheap stuff, but it still functions. I'd try finding a box of 50 rds somewhere and just giving it a go. It will work or it won't. Feed ramps and mags and bolts vary somewhat on Stens, I suspect, and what works on mine may not for yours.

I just wish that someone marketed a 7.62x25 conversion kit.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I know old thread but I have shot a bunch of 147 FP in lead and FMJ handloads through both of my Stens's with zero issues. Biggest issue I have ever had is the feed angle of the mag and I had one new barrel that needed some wear to it to knock off the edge of the chamber. That was an easy fix though!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I agree with mag feed angle as potential failure point, as mags are typically the weak link in most weapons (IMO). Great advice on 147gr. I don't have a suppressor yet, so it will pay to switch reloading ops over to that sooner than later.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mine shoots any ball ammo I've ever used. The rate of fire will drop if I use the real cheap stuff, but it still functions. I'd try finding a box of 50 rds somewhere and just giving it a go. It will work or it won't. Feed ramps and mags and bolts vary somewhat on Stens, I suspect, and what works on mine may not for yours.

I just wish that someone marketed a 7.62x25 conversion kit.
7.62x25bbls are out there.....and the ammo will feed from unmodified 9mm Largo mags from the Spanish made MP-28's, and regular 7.63mm MP-28 mags (fits a sten magwell with no mods)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Something else to keep in mind the load used for the STEN does not have to be hot. They are designed for standard pressure 9mm. That being said the 147 gr load (my favorite as well!) uses a lot less powder. Since powder is hard to get that is a good thing.

I have a 7.62x25 conversion as well. Be sure to get a heavier recoil spring if you do go that way. The standard spring is a little weak for the 7.62 and could cause issues in the long run.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts