Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Legendary CBS News anchor Walter Cronkite allegedly collaborated with anti-Vietnam War activists in the 1960s, going so far as to offer advice on how to raise the public profile of protests and even pledging CBS News resources to help pull off events, according to FBI documents obtained by Yahoo! News.

The documents, obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request, say that in November 1969, Cronkite encouraged students at Rollins College in Winter Park, Fla., to invite Maine Sen. Edmund Muskie to address a protest they were planning near Cape Kennedy (now known as Cape Canaveral).

Cronkite told the group's leader that Muskie would be nearby for a fundraiser on the day of the protest, and said that "CBS would rent [a] helicopter to take Muskie to and from site of rally," according to the documents.

The claims are contained in an FBI memo recounting a confidential informant's report on a November 1969 meeting of a Rollins College protest group called Youth for New America. The group was planning rallies near Cape Kennedy on Nov. 13 and 14 — the latter being day of the Apollo 12 launch from Cape Kennedy, which President Nixon would be attending — as part of a nationwide Moratorium to End the War in Vietnam. That protest action culminated in a huge march on Washington on Nov. 15.

According to the informant, the group's leader (whose name is redacted in the documents) told the attendees that during a visit to a local CBS News station to drum up publicity for the protests, he ended up in a.......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts2067

·
Silver Bullet Member an all around excellent guy
51,656 Posts
Another casualty of 2009 that I am not missing.
Well, in my opinion he was the last of the true TV Journalists. He was pushed out by Dan Rather and the state "the news" in America has been in free fall ever since.

Now even my hometown love, Diane Sawyer, has turned into a "tv personality" filling the airwaves with fluff instead of being a journalist bringing us news.

·
Diamond Bullet Member and the Revered Sir Jim
46,393 Posts
I don't get it.

Walter Kronkite is being reported by whom to who? A secret FBI informant that is reporting to a Director that has been living in sin with another man for decades. And the FBI director is holding " secret files" as trump cards over politicos in Washington. I am sorry that I don't put much faith in J. Edgar Hoover and his band of secret informers. I was in I Corps in 1968 during the Tet Offensive. I came to the same conclusion that he did. The war was unwinnable. I was 21, an E-3, and HS grad. He told what was happening and a lot of folks blame him for losing the war? Give me a break. I never even understood how and why we wanted to put the French Empire back together in Asia. They were our staunch ally from Valey Forge to Yorktown. We honored our debt to Lafayette and the French people in WW1 and WW2. We need not have contributed 5 cents for Indochina.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,482 Posts
The folks who got (and get) upset with Uncle Walter were, I think, mainly mad about him making a frankly stated personal editorial comment about his personal conclusion that the Vietnam War was not winnable and a mistake. He was riht, as in correct.

Nassaulakes reached that conclusion on the ground. I reached it after a few discussions with folks who'd been there while I was in Germany, before i got curtailed and sent over to SEA. What I encountered in country only reinforced a conclusion I'd reached by late 1967. And - that conclusion mattered not a whit as far as what i did. I took the oath and put on one of Uncle's green suits and when I got orders, i complied with them.

Further comment: I concluded while we were studying military history and counter-insurgency in Advanced Course ROTC (including things like the Strategic Hamlet program) that our first error in Vietnam was providing aid and comfort to the French in 1945 and thereafter, and then aiding subversion of the Geneva Accords of 1954, followed by support of the RVN. It wasn't until after the debacle of 1975 that we (including I) knew just how thoroughly subverted and infiltrated by the commes the RVN government was. Sad, sad episode.

Sat Cong!!!

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Vietnam was unwinnable with the command "team" we had at the time, yes. I like to quote James M. Mcpherson's comment that if in the Civil War the North and the South had swapped presidents the South would have had a much better chance of winning. Thet is of course George C. Marshall's comment that a democracy cannot fight a Seven Years War.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,751 Posts
I just have a problem with scumbags like Cronkite getting on the air after Tet and telling the whole nation the War is lost. When in fact, Tet was a disaster for the enemy, that little truth was left out. The war may or may not have been unwinnable, that is subject to endless debate, but Cronkite made sure which viewpoint the American public got.

Stein, Walter Cronkite "taught" everything the modern media needs to know about how to sway public opinion. He wasn't the last journalist, he was the first propagandist.

Hopefully, there is a reserved seat in hell for Jane Fonda right next to good 'ol Walter. That's where traitors belong.

·
99,482 Posts
Aren't journalist supposed to REPORT (no bias) the news, not take an active role in shaping it? That's the issue with so called "journalists" like Cronkite. IMO
As long as you separate news reporting and editorial comment, not a problem. Editorials are quite properly partisan, or at least opinionated. As best i can tell from my memories of the time and study since, Cronkhite did indeed separate editorializing and news reporting. And - reporters of wars (especially) have ALWAYS shaped the news. Look at Ed Murrow's reports from Britain or Ernie Pyle's from both Europe and the Pacific. Or Frederick Faust's or Quentin Reynolds' in WWII or just about anybody else you care to name from past wars

·
99,482 Posts
I just have a problem with scumbags like Cronkite getting on the air after Tet and telling the whole nation the War is lost. When in fact, Tet was a disaster for the enemy, that little truth was left out. The war may or may not have been unwinnable, that is subject to endless debate, but Cronkite made sure which viewpoint the American public got.

Stein, Walter Cronkite "taught" everything the modern media needs to know about how to sway public opinion. He wasn't the last journalist, he was the first propagandist.

Hopefully, there is a reserved seat in hell for Jane Fonda right next to good 'ol Walter. That's where traitors belong.
Absolutely untrue. Like him or not, at least be honest.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Just as with movies, the post-world war 2 era was a fairy-tale time for journalists. They actually lived the creed they espoused, trying to objectively present the news. Vietnam simply restored the press to their pre-world war 2 (low) standards. Read newspapers from the Spanish-American War, the Civil War or even colonial times, and you'll find a lack of objectivity on the front page that would appall even a modern journalist. Remember the Maine?

Cronkites turn to the dark side was shocking because people weren't used to it, not because it was something new.

·
Silver Bullet member
53,003 Posts
How long would wars last if gov met no opposition?

Cronkite, the anti war movement the blood, sweet and tears of men women families, soldiers given up to the very same gov, that has made the decisions that has got this country in the shape its in now and got us in the war in Nam.
what cost of lives? what bill to be passed? what lie is uncovered that they say wasn't part of the whole picture we didn't need to know or understand?
support you soldiers but question your gov. is the Constitutional way of thinking!
leaders are influenced by monies,powers,favors of usually an unknown organ.
right and emotional wrong play no part in decisions.
the right emotional concerns are voiced by the people for the people and that my friend is the the conscience of gov.:tisk:
not catch phrases, not votes after the fact but consolidator's in the streets.:crossfingers:
most of you never looked in to the eyes of a fresh returning soldier straight off the plane, don't ask him about politics?, world orders ?:?
but don't ever ask him why! he's and AMERICAN and thats what we do.
you already know that. no matter what war, its the same answers and same ones making the decisions+/-, proper results and reasons.
if it were not for more than a few brave out spoken men before the INTERNET we still might be in NAM like in Korea.:cry: <><dk

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,751 Posts
Absolutely untrue. Like him or not, at least be honest.
I was being rhetorical. Yes, I know he was not literally THE FIRST propagandist. I was trying to draw a comparison to him and the modern liberal media.

·
99,482 Posts
I was being rhetorical. Yes, I know he was not literally THE FIRST propagandist. I was trying to draw a comparison to him and the modern liberal media.
Well, by 1991, he wasn't that fond of them. At least not from what he said while he was the moderator at THE GATHERING STORM seminar in Austin in May, 1991. Wife and I were among the (many) attendees and we heard him....

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
As long as you separate news reporting and editorial comment, not a problem. Editorials are quite properly partisan, or at least opinionated. As best i can tell from my memories of the time and study since, Cronkhite did indeed separate editorializing and news reporting. And - reporters of wars (especially) have ALWAYS shaped the news. Look at Ed Murrow's reports from Britain or Ernie Pyle's from both Europe and the Pacific. Or Frederick Faust's or Quentin Reynolds' in WWII or just about anybody else you care to name from past wars
Let me rephrase, it's one thing to shape the news in the the way the story is written/presented, but to actively take part in instructing protestors and "using CBS news resources to help pull off events" crosses a line between journalism and activism.

Conflict of interest?

·
Diamond Member
249 Posts
journalism or activism, most journalism is activism. Not reporting the news leads to continuation of said event. It matters not if is war or civil war marches. Even on this forum there are posts concerning LEO's and different opinions and strategies. I am thankful for all media attention and protests that kept my youngest brother from having to go "in country" as my older brother and I served. While journalists are a pain in the a** and can be in the way during combat , my Lt. kept them out of harms way. That meant men asigned to them were also safer. I did see a journalist drag a wounded grunt to safety after a skirmish. Activism or journalism?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,751 Posts
journalism or activism, most journalism is activism. Not reporting the news leads to continuation of said event. It matters not if is war or civil war marches. Even on this forum there are posts concerning LEO's and different opinions and strategies. I am thankful for all media attention and protests that kept my youngest brother from having to go "in country" as my older brother and I served. While journalists are a pain in the a** and can be in the way during combat , my Lt. kept them out of harms way. That meant men asigned to them were also safer. I did see a journalist drag a wounded grunt to safety after a skirmish. Activism or journalism?
Which is worse, not reporting or wrong reporting? I don't really know either.

·
Silver Bullet member
53,003 Posts
believing what the governments says about why we are in the shape were in with numbers or percents or what polls say!
or how they are going to fix things.
or any reporter + - the side hes on<><dk

·
Diamond Bullet Member and the Revered Sir Jim
46,393 Posts
The news releases by the military in Vietnam about war efforts , now make me belive these officers were smoking crack before it was cool. In 1968 I thought it would be cool to mail a letter home from VN with a VN air mail stamp. My Vietnamese buddy made me wait and personally watch the post man cancel the stamp and put it in the bag. Why?? Because they would steam off the stamp, throw away the letter, and resell the stamp. A postman would buy his route with a bribe, the post master would keep his pay. What is this all about? The postman would get his cut of the action by selling the mail to the recipients on his route; the old squeeze system. So if an 20 year old kid could see the corruption and rot, I'm more than puzzled why the CIA and others could not. But even when they told the truth, the politicos of BOTH parties couldn't handle the truth. The verified stories of factual corruption and graft of the South Vietnamese governement far exceeds the appocriphal tales of GIs being spit upon on return home. I was in no mood to have someone spit on me. I'll tell you that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts