Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up a decent no4 mk1 (41)with sportized wood, metal appears to be un-molested. matching receiver and bolt. has an electro-pencil engraved FTR (fazakerley) 47 on the receiver. i am thinking it was a fazakerley built in 1941 and fazakerley re built in 1947. usual proof marks on the muzzle area. my first thought was a possible POF built rifle but i could not find any P marks. may be a candidate for conservation with new no4 wood. magazine looks after market, however it feeds well and 3 shots can be covered with a quarter at 30yds. comments?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
If it's that accurate, be double sure to fit any new wood correctly. It's more than a matter of throwing timber at it then heading for the range.
Just so you are aware, it's currently wearing an obvious aftermarket magazine. Something you may wish to consider as you begin your hunt for replacement parts.

Also, the letter P on parts doesn't necessarily mean POF. I know...I know. "Anything marked P means Pakistan!" Some new experts have claimed that elsewhere. Their ignorance is showing. P on parts most often represents Poole. A British subcontractor. There are also other variations and locations of the letter. 99.9% of the time it means something other than Pakistan. POF markings are distinct in their own right.

Hope you find the hunt both fun and affordable.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
Mag looks like a "Pro Mag" aftermarket. They have a terrible rep. But if it works it'll tide you over til you find a"real" one!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the responses, all. a correct mag is on the list. also, i found several web sites which describe proper action bedding. too bad the fore stock was cut. the barrel is free floated and the rear of the stock inletting seems perfect, without undo wear or splits. i noticed lumber is getting pricey. nice winter project. best regards, john

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.