·
Registered
846 Posts
did the Gerber's hold up ???

I have 2, and both have broken tools on them,

sent one back, they replaced the broken bits, and they broke again,

keep them in range bags now,

the leatherman I have has never failed,,
The Gerbers are not my favorite and I do not recommend them. We got one issued for every tour in Afghanistan as part of the Regular Army issue. I was also issued one when the Regular Army adopted them so I have 5 of those things.

I used the first one occasionally. The design seems to find new ways to pinch you whenever you pick it up. The steel is brittle so the wire cutters do break. If it gets near water or humidity, it rusts up. I had my first one rust up so bad after doing a Helocast infil that it would not open the next morning. I had to soak it in CLP and work with it for a while. It went in a drawer after that. I keep one in the cars and the airplane. They are kind of Emergency back up to the back up. The knives are sharp on them.

I would rate the Multi-tools as:

1. Swiss Tool
2. SOG Tool
3. Leatherman
4. Leatherman Wave

·
Registered
846 Posts
I went on SOG's website and they have way too many models now.

This is what I have but mine is an older version. It does not have scissors. Honestly, I have never understood the obsession with scissors. I have never once been in the woods and thought, "If I only had some scissors..."

The SOG has the best saw of all of them. It cuts wood very well, which is helpful for traps and shelters.

https://sogknives.com/powerlock-eod-black-oxide-with-nylon-pouch/

·
Super Moderator
16,401 Posts
The scissors are not a needed field implement, but they are useful if you are prone to torn cuticles and hang nails due to dry skin and poor circulation. Some annoying side affects of Diabetes.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I don't carry a knife,but keep a Swiss army knife in my vehicle,and if I had to take a knife camping or some such would probably take a Glock knife I recently purchased.Most useful cutlery I ever used was Swedish Mauser bayonet.....used it on the farm for cutting bales of hay open and then feeding out the sections of the bale off the back of the truck to livestock during winter.Was just the right size and weight for such a task.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
On my mission to AFG I got the new Bundeswehr Army Multitool knife. But it had no cork screw. In the PX we could buy wine from South Africa but the plastic corks were "glued" into the bottle. No chance to push them in. And decaping the bottle with a combat knife ended in a mess. Works only in movies. My wife sent me my old Victorinox Army knife with a cork screw. Obviously our leaders were convinced that us grunts can afford wine only in laminated cardbord boxes .

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Recall there is a Leunig cartoon of the Australian Army knife - it consists of a bottle opener and corkscrew.

·
Registered
846 Posts
On my mission to AFG I got the new Bundeswehr Army Multitool knife. But it had no cork screw. In the PX we could buy wine from South Africa but the plastic corks were "glued" into the bottle. No chance to push them in. And decaping the bottle with a combat knife ended in a mess. Works only in movies. My wife sent me my old Victorinox Army knife with a cork screw. Obviously our leaders were convinced that us grunts can afford wine only in laminated cardbord boxes .
In the US Army it is a tradition to give soldiers a good meal right before major combat. The guys hitting the beach on Normandy got Fried Chicken and Ice Cream. Ice Cream was a big deal in 1944.

We got Steak and Lobster in Afghanistan. Before we took Objective Rhino, we were moving so fast that the Army logistics could not keep up with all the special issue meals were supposed to be eating. They issued it to our support but there was no way to cook it and get it out to us. After that phase, we rolled back to Kandahar Airfield and the SOTF (later it became Camp Brown) to plan and then establish Firebases. We had connex's full of steak and lobster but no beer.

The Bundeswehr guys got beer in their field rations. We traded Steak and Lobster for beer with them. Everybody was happy, LOL.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,492 Posts
Fudd collegian peptides..fixed my hair nails..dry eczema palms Kroger $15; bucks no taste..tea coffee juice..
helps leaky guts..bones have more of this in it than calcium, skin a connecting tissue builder..
your more acidic like my wife..same condition..
calcium citrate will cut down on you acidic stomach ..?
image.jpg image.jpg
together with bag balm..you can do no better..
softens my steel nails, ingrown Nails just getting started softens areas, cuticles in a few days..
brighten tattoo my girl friend loves the results..<>< dan
remembering that’s acid, alkaline chart of digestive food..lean to alkaline Digestive alkaline inducing foodS..
my wife sick with it 12 years.
.I’d sneak her toward these things..mixed greens,
after one of her hospital stays in stat acidos, meds and all.
get your self some pool test strips..I bet you’ll light them up in the acid sides.
.easy to read cheapest test for your needs and my gout..concerns..better than blood work..immediate results..
water Mellon alkaline..buy sugar so lemon juice next best to push it to alkaline side of digestion’s.

if you need I’ll post food chart or pm me..

·
Silver Bullet member
48,492 Posts
Nice turkey..

·
Super Moderator
16,401 Posts
Zero Tolerance 0456?:grin: I don't ever see myself buying or carrying a $300 pocket knife, but I know where to look if I ever decide to go that route.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,492 Posts
I’ve got One caniks had 5# gave to my children grand girl...shotguns, Iver Johnson name sake, AR 16 12 gauge ..5# choke tubes and have a target ported 45 near same as you..traded even on all steel tafango 45..
tolerance in barrel construction surpasses name brand guns..

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Jim's dagger  reduced.jpg

For me it has to be the 13 inch blade I made for a friend (I am not sure I want to be reminded of this) 37 years ago. I still get to pay it the occasional visit for a health check, and it will still take a shaving from the edge of a tight-stretched human hair. The hilt is brass, nickel plated with a kit bought through a motorcycling magazine, and the grip of grand palisander wood, chocolate and custard striped before it mellowed, because I have an allergy to the rosewoods. The etching is done with dilute nitric acid, enamel paint and Letraset rub-on transfer lettering. Not many people know that.

Of course finding a rational use for it is a problem. But I am hardly alone in that.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This is my weekend carry knife(dress knife :D). My daily carry knives are ones that get lots of abuse on the job but they aren't my favorite.
Zero Tolerance 0456?:grin: I don't ever see myself buying or carrying a $300 pocket knife, but I know where to look if I ever decide to go that route.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Very nice, reminds me of a German forest dagger.

View attachment 3704199

For me it has to be the 13 inch blade I made for a friend (I am not sure I want to be reminded of this) 37 years ago. I still get to pay it the occasional visit for a health check, and it will still take a shaving from the edge of a tight-stretched human hair. The hilt is brass, nickel plated with a kit bought through a motorcycling magazine, and the grip of grand palisander wood, chocolate and custard striped before it mellowed, because I have an allergy to the rosewoods. The etching is done with dilute nitric acid, enamel paint and Letraset rub-on transfer lettering. Not many people know that.

Of course finding a rational use for it is a problem. But I am hardly alone in that.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Some fine knives indeed!

Was looking for the missing plain jane Swiss Army, small not lots of tools when I found my old balisong knife in the back of the junk drawer.
I always used to carry it when younger and going to bars a lot in the 80's from Irish bars in SF to Amarillo and everything in between. Good little pig sticker she still is. Just cleaned her up as she was very dirty. I think I'll bring her with me. (Not Legal to carry in some states)
From Smokey Mountain Knife works.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
So I caved and bought a folder. Since guns an ammo prices are just ridiculous I'm spending some money on knives.

Got this for under 40 bucks on sale msrp $79 five inch drop point blade. Fits my hand perfect. It's frikken big. Came with a pouch, no clip.

Went looking to add on a clip but you'd be shocked how many are out of stock. So I decided to not to get a clip for it. Clips change the ergonomics of the handle.

Go big or just don't go.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
My SOG Seal Team. A gift from a old friend. Bomb proof. Sheath has notch for cutting rope while sheathed, can be attached while your belt is already on, or can be laced into your boot.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts