Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every knife has a purpose. Some have multiple uses. Just got this from Ruger - Silver Stag knives - https://silverstag.com/ Cascade Hunter D2- Signature outdoor

This is prolly gonna be my most favorite knife and carry knife. Even the sheath is to die for. All made in USA, hand made, hand sharpened. And this baby came in very sharp!

Attachments

·
Diamond Member
13,057 Posts
My favorite is my DU**star Arad model 1 Masada serial number 23 D2 steel .. it's the same as the one they cut the ammo can in half with in the video &&%$%$%$%&*(& can't find the video)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I have a favorite hunting knife too. I had it hand made by a master tool and die maker while living in Germany a few years ago. As a side line from his day job with Mercedes Benzes he made custom knives using the highest quality steel available from Switzerland. He told me I could dress out at least 20 game animals before I had to re-sharpen the blade. So far I and my son have dressed out 5 or 6 deer and one elk and the blade is still razor sharp. I could provide photos if you might like.

·
Super Moderator
16,401 Posts
I have too many knives to have a favorite. I EDC a Victorinox Spirit and a Victorinox Swiss Champ in a leather pouch in my back pocket and a Myerchin Titanium rigging knife clipped to my side pocket. These are as close as I can get to being my favorites because I use them every day. This thread is pretty useless without pictures. I guess I'll have to get out the camera.

·
Diamond Member
13,057 Posts
sharping D2 steel is an experience had to get those diamond grit blocks and a angle guide and you got to keep it oiled D2 will rust if you give it a chance , but what it won't cut, you just get a hammer and pound it thru. the sucker will make your belt sag ( sorry, coming off the light weight camping tarp thread )

speaking of D2 I noticed SMKW either had a sale ( didn't say sale ) or the prices on D2 blades have gotten a lot more reasonable lately

https://www.smkw.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=D2+blades yeah it the Marbles pocket Knives ( I'm not a pocket knife person Rather have one slightly/ somewhat larger blade on a folder ).

Anyway good prices , I'm tempted despite it all

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
A friend forges blades from old files. They are remarkably good at maintaining an edge when skinning.

·
Diamond Member
13,057 Posts
I have too many knives to have a favorite. I EDC a Victorinox Spirit and a Victorinox Swiss Champ in a leather pouch in my back pocket and a Myerchin Titanium rigging knife clipped to my side pocket. These are as close as I can get to being my favorites because I use them every day. This thread is pretty useless without pictures. I guess I'll have to get out the camera.
Yeah, if EDC is a criteria, I carry a pocket knife ( again I'm not a pocket knife person, really) Marble's make a copy of the old US Army standby the "Demo Knife" ( most often missing item in tool kits at inspections ) , but I came by mine legit ( and it's not about the knife but the memories, I'm really not a pocket knife person ) , and mines a copy by Marbles they are the sharpest knife right out of the box I've ever had , but it is an about every two months touch -up on the blade . But I like my cheap knock off multitool better and it's edc as well , big purse.

·
Diamond Member
13,057 Posts
I guess we should maybe specify Knife proudest of/ best knife , most sentimental, most useful, most carried etc , most preferred. edit coolest, most practical etc.

it gets complicated

·
Registered
846 Posts
Victorinox
Great company.

I carried a Victorinox Swiss Tool for over 30 years. Bought it when I was in 1/75th and entire time I served. It has been on every Continent except for Antarctica and in served me well in the Arctic, Jungles, Desert, Mountains, and Oceans. It never let me down and still looks like it just came out of the box.

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/SwissTools/SwissTool/p/3.0323.N

I have been issued SOG tools, Leathermans, Gerber Tools, and all kinds of very nice knives but that Swiss Tool was always on my belt.

·
Diamond Member
13,057 Posts
Great company.

I carried a Victorinox Swiss Tool for over 30 years. Bought it when I was in 1/75th and entire time I served. It has been on every Continent except for Antarctica and in served me well in the Arctic, Jungles, Desert, Mountains, and Oceans. It never let me down and still looks like it just came out of the box.

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/SwissTools/SwissTool/p/3.0323.N

I have been issued SOG tools, Leathermans, Gerber Tools, and all kinds of very nice knives but that Swiss Tool was always on my belt.
this one https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=SwissTool#:~:text=Originally announced in 1997, the SwissTool was not,brought out the AutoTool and the SwissTool Spirit. ?

·
Registered
846 Posts

The dates are wrong on that wiki. Leatherman's have been out since 1983 and everyone else followed. I had several Leatherman's and the Swiss tool. I quit carrying the Leatherman's in the intial training pipeline after selection because the Swiss Tool had much better wire cutting capability. We cut a lot of wire making field expedient antennas, rigging demo, and making traps.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
I was never big into knives.....
But I find myself with waaaaaay too many now?

Favorite was a Morakniv, lost it maybe 2 months ago & everything seems to suck in comparison.

:(:(:(:(:cry:

·
Diamond Member
13,057 Posts
I always used my M2 to cut stuff , very little wire, we were most non-electric so det cord and time fuse, and you absolutely need non-sparking ( beryllium plated tools ) .. at most we had a double electric caps ( duel channel, everything has got to be duel channel) , when you are setting literally hundreds of simultaneous charges to take down the whole ammo dump you can't have wires sitting around while everything is getting set up.

The other thing we did a lot was suspect and suspended ammo lots , that was almost always safety fuse and on ranges that usually had range limits so small the it could turn a fun day blowing things up into a somewhat repetitive and tedious chore .. depends on the size of the lot.

our commo guys had a dedicated tool , or a tool they only used for, cutting antennas to frequency, never got into that much, they were very fussy about who messed with their wire.

·
Super Moderator
16,401 Posts
The dates are wrong on that wiki. Leatherman's have been out since 1983 and everyone else followed. I had several Leatherman's and the Swiss tool. I quit carrying the Leatherman's in the intial training pipeline after selection because the Swiss Tool had much better wire cutting capability. We cut a lot of wire making field expedient antennas, rigging demo, and making traps.
It says the Swiss Tool came out in 1997. I think that is correct. I have one as well but I prefer the Spirit because it is smaller and lighter.

·
Diamond Member
13,057 Posts
I just want to know how you can name something so generically "Swiss Tool " and folks are supposed to know there is only one thing in the world called "Swiss Tool" and /or which one of the Swiss Tools you might mean?

and then there was no disambiguation at wiki? .. so in all the World the Swiss have only One Tool ? .. Who knew??

At least Leatherman has a variety of specialize models , but I guess if you have a Swiss that needs fixing they have a tool for it .. never had a broken Swiss in my life, personally.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Got couple Swiss Army knives around here some place. Had a nice big Benchmade five inch blade but it got stolen. Got a big Buck in the truck. hehe

I really enjoy my Col. Littleton whittlin knife. Hand made in Tennessee, bone handle. I carry it all the time.

Recently found this Hunters Choice knife in a box. Totally forgot I even had it. Truthfully I don't even remember where I got it. It's kinda 70 -80's era Japanese steel.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
My EDC is a Multi-tool because its much more than just 2 blades, one serrated, the other not.
My Leatherman "Wave" (new model with detachable screwdriver bits.)
I have added the pocket clip too as I got fed up with holes in the bottoms of all my pockets.

If I can carry a fixed blade then I like the "Puma White Hunter" style blade. the weighted front end & chopping back section are awesome.
I have an original & a Damascus copy I like the design & functionality so much.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I had a leather man wave nice piece had a few leather mans now no idea were any of them are like to think the wife's kid took them cause if not it means I'm losing my mind found most of my knives while hiking around I always check campsites you'll be amazed how many people leave things behind. Most of the tools I have I found while hiking snowmobile trails in the spring as the snow melts you find all sorts of goodies including cash . I've even found bags of weed bet someone was very disappointed

·
Registered
846 Posts
It says the Swiss Tool came out in 1997. I think that is correct. I have one as well but I prefer the Spirit because it is smaller and lighter.
There is no way. I was definitely using mine some 4-5 years earlier. I think someone has put the Swiss Tool X time line as the whole series.

Now we did have plenty of companies throwing widgets down the hallway all the time but I do not believe that was the case with the SwissTool. We also were privy to many new innovations in outdoor gear. I remember when Gore-Tex was a sensitive item and considered OPSEC to discuss it.

IIRC, I bought it at Ft Bragg Clothing and Sales.

·
Super Moderator
16,401 Posts
My multi-tool was wearing holes in the bottom of my pockets as well which is why I went with the leather pocket pouch. This is the combo that works best for me most of the time, Swiss Tool Spirit, Swiss Champ, and Myerchin Titanium rigging knife. The rigging knife weighs almost nothing, even with a marlin spike so I figured why not have the extra tool. I use the rigging knife for most normal cutting and thus preserve the blades in the Swiss Champ so they are really sharp when I really need them. I have used the marlin spike to poke holes and to pry open knots so it has come in handy.
EDC July 2020.JPG

1 - 20 of 85 Posts