Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Durand third-grader's father sues school over right to wear hat depicting AR-15 rifle
A third-grade Michigan student's First and Fourteenth Amendment rights were violated when she was prevented from wearing a hat at school with the text "Come and Take It" along with an image of an AR-15 rifle, according to a lawsuit filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Detroit.

The suit, filed on her behalf by the child's father, Adam Stroub, names the superintendent of Durand Area Schools officials, along with the principal and track coach at Robert Kerr Elementary School where she attends.

It alleges the hat portrays support for the right to keep and bear arms in a non-violent, non-threatening manner and contains "pure speech."
more at link Durand third-grader's father sues school over right to wear hat depicting AR-15 rifle

Shoe Cap Headgear Font Grey

·
Banned
18,286 Posts
Did it violate a dress code?
(not necessarily firearms related)?
if not then go for it.
If (for example there's) a ban on political statements then probably not.

·
Silver Bullet member
5,896 Posts
I could care less if she had the words 'Proud member of the league of united tri-sexual gay nazi surf-zombies' on her hat - it's a bit of fun, FFS, not any kind of attempt to bring down the government of the USA.

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,672 Posts
To play the Devil's Advocate here, why would you send your kid to school with that ,in the first place. Why can't kids just go to school and just learn something. Regardless of how you look at it, it's a statement of opinion and what does that have to do with getting an education. Today it seems like everyone wants to rub someone else's face in something. I for one don't have any bumper stickers , flags or decals on any of my vehicles . I'm not looking for a pointless argument .On another note, I remember some inner city schools establishing a dress code so everyone was dressed the same , almost like a uniform. Evidently, the "Students" were coming to school dressed in gang colors . We should be thinking as a group , like such and such high school , not individuals competing with each other . What a world we live in.

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,672 Posts
I hope this person gets paid big time. Im Sick of schools censoring free speech.
Again, the Devil's advocate , what is "Free Speech" and where does it fit in the classroom ?? When I was in school and the teacher was speaking, we were silent. If you spoke without being spoken to, you got punished. It was called disrupting the class. Some inner city schools ,[ and even outer city ones], are zoos . The "Students" talk out loud, get into arguments with each other, [sometimes fights], and when the teacher says, "Please sit down and be quiet," they tell her to "Shut up. I'm talking to my friend" !! At what point does free speech become restricted , for the good of all the rest of the students??

·
Silver Bullet member
5,896 Posts
I just took a peek to remind me that I DO, in fact, have a sticker on my my car - it's so we can distinguish our car from all the other Mercedes-Benz station wagons in the parking lot...

Sky Hood Vehicle Cloud Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Again, the Devil's advocate , what is "Free Speech" and where does it fit in the classroom ?? When I was in school and the teacher was speaking, we were silent. If you spoke without being spoken to, you got punished. It was called disrupting the class. Some inner city schools ,[ and even outer city ones], are zoos . The "Students" talk out loud, get into arguments with each other, [sometimes fights], and when the teacher says, "Please sit down and be quiet," they tell her to "Shut up. I'm talking to my friend" !! At what point does free speech become restricted , for the good of all the rest of the students??
Free speech is the right to think and therefore state what you wish as long as it criminally does not endanger another person. Period. Anything above or below that is meddling for either end of nonexistent utopian societies. To prevent or alter is agenda bias, based around politics, societal wokeness and even control.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Being disruptive, rude, or ignorant to a teacher is one thing. Students doing as you mention are animals who won't learn no matter how well run a classroom. I think you're confusing discipline with free speech. When a school district puts down symbols, hats T shirts etc by refusing children to display such things then that is a free speech issue. Schools should not be allowed to quel free speech as long as it doesn't call for violence or hatred toward other groups or races. Simply wearing a hat such as the one in this story should be protected and the school should have no authority to refuse to allow a student to wear it.

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,672 Posts
Being disruptive, I think you're confusing discipline with free speech.
I disagree. Wearing symbols that are controversial can be disruptive and the issue of guns is controversial !! Schools have one purpose, that is to teach people basics to make their way in life. It is not a place for statements . The gang attire was a statement. Hats with guns on them are statements .I doubt whether the kid thinks anything ,one way or the other about guns. This is a parent , who is trying to create an incident for either political purposes or financial gain. Ask yourself this simple question. What does a hat with a gun symbol have in common with getting an education ? The answer of course is, nothing. Leave politics out of the classroom and concentrate on the three "R's " .

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
103,551 Posts
I disagree. Wearing symbols that are controversial can be disruptive and the issue of guns is controversial !! Schools have one purpose, that is to teach people basics to make their way in life. It is not a place for statements . The gang attire was a statement. Hats with guns on them are statements .I doubt whether the kid thinks anything ,one way or the other about guns. This is a parent , who is trying to create an incident for either political purposes or financial gain. Ask yourself this simple question. What does a hat with a gun symbol have in common with getting an education ? The answer of course is, nothing. Leave politics out of the classroom and concentrate on the three "R's " .
If burning a flag is "protected speech" (it is) then a hat with an AR ought to be OK.

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,672 Posts
If burning a flag is "protected speech" (it is) then a hat with an AR ought to be OK.
As far as I know, they aren't burning flags in schools. I believe that would be a Fire Code Violation. Remember, respect for others is a lost art. Everyone wants to be an individual. You can't allow that in a school. There has to be some kind of order and political,[Flag Burning], or religious promotions don't belong if anything is going to get taught . Like I said, It's the parent bucking the system , using the kid to do it. Kind of sad for the kid , in my opinion, to be made into a media sensation , all for what, making a point ??

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As far as I know, they aren't burning flags in schools. I believe that would be a Fire Code Violation. Remember, respect for others is a lost art. Everyone wants to be an individual. You can't allow that in a school. There has to be some kind of order and political,[Flag Burning], or religious promotions don't belong if anything is going to get taught . Like I said, It's the parent bucking the system , using the kid to do it. Kind of sad for the kid , in my opinion, to be made into a media sensation , all for what, making a point ??
The school would of had no problem with this on a hat. They do not mind some political statements, but do if it is about guns.

Purple Font Violet Magenta Circle

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
If the school has an established dress code (No logos or icons on any article of clothing other than to identify the manufacturer of said piece of clothing) and the child violated it, shame on her. If the dress code is "No clothing advocating violence" then the hat is a gray area (being confrontational but not directly violent) and should be clarified through mediation (not the courts). If there isn't a published dress code or the item is not directly addressed then shame on the school administration for singling out the child.
Personally I think that the constitutional rights of children should be held by their parents until they are emancipated. Children aren't just little adults, they need time to mature mentally and until then their parents should be responsible for ensuring they don't do anything stupid.
In my experience full mental maturity occurs at about 24, physical maturity at about 18. Those six years can be very hard.

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,672 Posts
The school would of had no problem with this on a hat.

View attachment 3977355
The key word in your post is "Would" which means you don't know for sure. Like I said, I'm playing the Devils Advocate here. No one is more 2nd amendment than me and I think everyone should own a gun,[47% of the households in the US own at least 1 gun and there are 397 million guns here]. So lets talk about the gun symbol. Where do these frustrated whacko kids go to get "payback" ? How many school shootings have happened in the last 10 years ? How many parents are terrified that may happen in their kids school ? SCHOOL is not the place for making a statement , least of all about guns. Sending his daughter to school with a Gun on a hat is a childish act of of jerk who wants to "Piss off" people or worse, scare them . HE should be held for observation.
Now I have friends who are not gun people. When they come over we talk about subjects on which we both somewhat agree. They are friends and I enjoy their company but we both avoid trying to convince the other that they are wrong on subjects we disagree on. This should be the mentality of everyone . It seems to be lost on Bozo Brain who sent his kid to school to create an incident for the4 press coverage,[which he got], or money he thinks he will get. .
It all comes down to RESPECT . Respecting your neighbor's right to disagree and not rubbing their nose in it. The parent is a jerk and should be told so.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts