Gunboards Forums banner

Fantastic travels of an M-44

2K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Jaws2 
#1 · (Edited)
A while back I high bid $75 at an estate auction for a filthy, dirty, greasy and all the other descriptions of an unwanted old M-44. When I got it home I looked closely and not only is it a 1944 Izhevsk but has the 1 in triangle DDR (east German) marks above the SN. Where it gets interesting is the Chinese characters very neatly carved into the matching butt stock. My wife is Korean and reads some of the carvings but sent photos of the stock to her sister who is fluent. The translation is "May my friend who had this rest peacefully". The last character is a Korean name. So this M-44 was made in USSR, used by them in the last parts of the war. Then transferred to the East German DDR where it spent a few years until being sent to either a North Korean unit or a Chinese Unit fighting in the Korean War. I have spent about 10 years in Korea and know that many North Koreans near the China border are bilingual and many Koreans live in the northern areas of China. Anyway the old "If this gun could talk" really applies to this one. After I get it cleaned up and reassembled I'll get some photos up. Photos added into frame 13

#2 ·
Very interesting. Its awesome to actually know some of the real history behind your gun. Hang on to that one.

#7 ·
Material property Tool accessory Cylinder

If you found a mark like the one on this <sigh> once owned rifles receiver, I would be very interested. looks like one of these

Circle Line Line art Symmetry

Can't remember if it's Korean, Vietnamese...or neither. Very interested in pictures.

By the way, congrats on the DDR marked carbine! :clap:

#9 ·
Pics or it didn't happen! Just kidding. I have many rifles that if they would just talk, I would listen for days on end. I'm drawn to the ones with unknown histories!

#10 ·
I have to add another unusual item I found on this last nite. Under the trigger guard front and back where the guard screws go through are steel plates impressed. They are similar to the shims under the actions of Finns but at the opposite end, they have press cut holes for the guard screws to go through. I have gone through at least 50 Mosin's in the last 20 years and I have never noticed such before. The plates are pressed into groves inlet and firmly set.

#16 ·
Very cool rifle.

In cleaning lots of Mosins, all Russian refurbs, I find steel shims regularly, inconsistently installed. Sometimes only one shim, other rifles have two on top, one had one forward top & one back underneath.

#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.